Girls Write Out
Tuesday, December 29, 2009

TREKKIE NEWS
I've mentioned before that I'm a huge Star Trek fan. I used to refuse to leave the house when I was a teenager back in the day when it was a new series on TV. I had a hopeless crush on Mr. Spock. When I first heard there would be a new movie with new actors, I thought no one could play Spock like Leonard Nimoy. Boy was I wrong. Those actors NAILED the characters. Totally! Kara got it for me for Christmas and it was the best movie ever! I just loved all the character references that harked back to the TV series. But enough of the raving because what I really want to mention is, um, political correctness.

At the end of the movie, the familiar Star Trek mission statement began: These are the voyages of the starship Enterprise. Its five-year mission: to explore strange new worlds; to seek out new life and new civilizations; to boldly go where no man has gone before. SCREECH. Wait a minute. That's not what the new movie stated. It put in NO ONE in place of no man (it also changed 5 year to ongoing but we won't quibble about that.) It was the only thing that marred the movie. This inclusive language stuff is just getting to be a bit ridiculous. Since when are we too stupid to know that man means mankind? Are we going to rewrite the Bible too and take out any mention of man where it means mankind? Not that I think Star Trek is on a par with the Bible, mind you. I just get so tired of all this kind of thing.

I'm about to brainstorm with some other authors in Kansas City in an annual outing. Last year I mentioned someone in a story was a waitress and I was corrected. It's evidently supposed to be SERVER now. Um, not in my town in the midwest. We still say waitress and waiter. I still chat with my MAILMAN on the front porch and have never thought of him as a mail carrier. If Indiana has stayed behind the times, I'm glad I live here. :-) Let the rest of the world barrel on to all that ridiculous PC stuff while we still help our neighbors and stop to chat in the grocery store. it was interesting to talk this over with Kara. She grew up in a very different world than I did so she didn't even remember mankind was once was referenced as man. I guess I'm just OLD. LOL I love change but sometimes it's just silly. So what about you? Have you noticed this in your area or is your town more like mine where life moves on at a placid course?

Labels: ,

Colleen Coble  
posted at 7:57 AM  
  Comments (9)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
9 Comments:
At 9:07 AM, Blogger Andrea said...

I live in Nappanee. This area is defintely a conservative, behind-the-times area. And I love it. We often comment on how sheltered we are here. Most often when talking with others, I assume they are a Christian and surprised when I find out they aren't. I thought maybe I was the only one who thought this way. I have since talked with others who go with the same assumption. Most of the time, it is true. I work in a public school that holds to old values. Our children go to Bible Classes once a week during the school year. We opened our staff Christmas breakfast with prayer. We held a See You at the Pole service in the school at the end of the day and ALL students attended. No one ever thinks anything about it. We talk to each other in the grocery store whether you know them or not. When we are out taking a walk,people drive by and wave and you have no clue. How about a town Christmas parade where the Mayor reads the Christmas story from the Bible and then has the Christmas story projected in a laser light show! It is just a nice old fashioned community. I really love it! Good place for my kids. Yes it does have some "influence" from the outside world but not the same as a big city. And on the Star Trek front, my husband has always been a "trekkie" and has introduced my 11 yr old to it. He LOVES it. He got a tribble for Christmas that makes noises along with a tricorder and phaser. He has so many adventures! Another generation is born. :)
PS Sorry for writing a book! I just got started! LOL

 
At 12:49 PM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

I remember when NO ONE replaced No Man in TNG Star Trek. I didn't think much about it either way, because I knew what it meant all along. You have to understand that Uhura was a drastic leap in those times, and though she was expected to expose her gorgeous legs, she was taken seriously, for the most part, as a member of the team.

I would never rewrite the Bible, and I do understand that man is taken as mankind in many places by God, but not by the Jewish men. My mother always worked a man's job--when school bus driving was considered a man's job in CA, she did it, and was tormented by the men because of it. She had the strength and abilities of many men, and the mechanical skills, but was disrespected simply because she was a woman. She forged the way for me to feel like an equal, but there were times in our childhood when women weren't considered equal. All that said, I still love it when a man holds the door open for me, and I'm no feminist. But then, neither was Mom. She just wanted to make a living doing what she loved without being harrassed. Sometimes, in some situations, political correctness is a sign of respect. Other times it's just a load of hooey. LOL

 
At 2:00 PM, Blogger Molly Noble Bull said...

Like you, I'm a star trek fan from way back and like science fiction in general. But I didn't like Avatar. Read my movie review at Writers Rest to find out why.
Love,
Molly
http://writersrest.blogspot.com

 
At 4:05 PM, Blogger Trekkie4Ever said...

Yay! I fellow Trekkie! I am a die-hard fan. As you can tell from my blog. Although, I discuss politics on it, and I am not politically correct, I tend offend liberals, hee....so be it.

I was a bit flabbergasted when I heard the change of those infamous words, but what can we do? Gene and Majel, may they rest in peace, are not here anymore to protect Star Trek.

I loved the new characters as well, they played their roles fantastically. However, I was not thrilled about the HUGE changes, like what occurred with Romulus and Vulcan, or how they drastically changed the Romulans appearance. I could go on and on. However, I digress. I will always be a Star Trek fan no matter what.

Btw, I thought Spock was the bomb, too.

Live long and prosper...

 
At 5:18 PM, Blogger allen etter said...

I loved the movie. And the man / one didn't bother me since they've been doing it since (as mentioned before) TNG and also in Star Trek 5. As far as Roddenburry protecting Trek, He had some extremely liberal ideas that he wanted to introduce to the show but was not allowed to because of censors.

In my opinion, the new Trek is a great departure from DS9, Voyager and Enterprise.

 
At 10:43 PM, Blogger Cheri said...

HI--
I agree all the correctness has gotten out of hand and as I am from KC originally, I am surprised they said that about a 'server'. They must be from the KS side of the border, lol.

I love science fiction but in watching a new series this week following dental surgery, I really got tired of the 'gods' being mentioned all the time and the good guys wearing black hats and the bad guys didn't wear hats...

Anyway, as a grandmother I have trouble keeping up with my 11 year old granddaughter's texting "typing", which as a secretary drives me crazy. A sign of the times we live in, I guess.

I liked the new Star Trek movie but haven't seen Avatar. I have heard pretty good reviews from people but they said to only see it in 3D. They have gone back to get that privilege ~ and paid for it, so it must have something in it.

 
At 10:42 AM, Blogger Valerie said...

This is a late post and you may never even see it, Colleen, but we got to see Star Trek (in IMAX)on opening weekend at the Udvar Hazy Center in Washington D.C. It's part of the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum and it houses the space shuttle Enterprise. It was AWESOME to see the NCC-1701 USS Enterprise in the same place as the actual space shuttle Enterprise...!


I bought the deluxe DVD last night and enjoyed it all over again! :)

 
At 10:43 AM, Blogger Colleen Coble said...

I would LOVE to see it on the big screen!

 
At 10:46 AM, Blogger Valerie said...

Oh, and by the way, the narration on Star Trek: The Next Generation had the wording changed to "no one, " so it's been that way for awhile...

But I wholeheartedly agree that we've gone too far with political correctness. It's a shame, too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz