Girls Write Out
Saturday, December 26, 2009
I heard that most of the country was socked in at Christmas due to massive storms. I was socked in only because I was at my parents' country house. Which meant, no Starbucks. See, in the city, they tell you which Starbucks will be open on Xmas so you can get your fix. Here, people don't work 24/7, so you don't get that luxury. And that's fine. Fine, that I got a headache because I'm addicted to a legal substance that I can't get on Christmas...but I digress.

This Christmas saw a lot of downtime for people, and I truly pray you were blessed by that quiet time. My cousins, who are more like my brothers, came up and shared their wonderful kids with us. The cousins played obnoxiously, just like we did all those years ago. In fact, when my cousins started fighting with each other about a magic trick, it took me right back to childhood.

I got to hold my precious baby cousin Levi all night. That baby is never unhappy. If all babies were like him, we'd be run over with kids. The boys wanted iPods, and in an effort to lower their expectations in life, that was their one and only gift from Grandma and me. Actually, Jonah got an iFlip and has been trying to catch Mom without makeup for fun.

So this Christmas morning was no big production. We leisurely ate breakfast, drank coffee and played Scrabble and card games. Then, we all went to town for a movie. Came back and had leftovers and BBQd steaks for dinner. It was luxuriously relaxing. This year my goal is to simplify life and spend less time around toxic people. So far, it's looking good. I'm well-rested and rejoicing in Jesus' day. Even without espresso.
Kristin  
posted at 12:51 AM  
  Comments (6)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
6 Comments:
At 7:41 AM, Blogger Suzanne said...

I'm all about less time with toxic people. It makes life so much better.

 
At 11:53 AM, Blogger Southern-fried Fiction said...

Sending you a cyber latte, Kristin. LOL I even take my favorite coffee to conferences with me, so I totally relate! Merry Christmas!

 
At 2:41 PM, Blogger Kameko said...

Your Christmas sounds like an absolute dream: relaxing with family, no hustle & bustle of people rushing their lives away! The best part of my childhood was spent in a small farming community and although I live in a suburb of Oklahoma City now, I do miss the calm & quiet of that small town, especially during high stress times. At least my house backs up to a greenbelt area with a river running through it, no houses immediately behind me, so I can sit on the porch, listen to the wind in trees, the birds singing and reflect upon God's great gifts to us - not traffic noise!

 
At 3:28 PM, Blogger Kristin said...

I read a book this weekend, and it was a "true-life novel." And of all things, it had a setting in Ash Fork, AZ, where Carol Cox lives! She used to send me stuff on their history when I made fun of the small town life, but after reading the book, "Half Broke Horses" by Jeannette Walls (author of Glass Castle), I see the beauty in small town life. It's just not for me...

 
At 6:52 PM, Blogger Cathy Shouse said...

What movie did you go to? I saw Sherlock Holmes and loved it, although it was a bit over the edge. It seemed so literary and I it's nice to see Robert Downey Jr. back on his game. He's brilliant and has the tragic life experiences and addictions to prove it!

 
At 7:53 AM, Blogger Lisa Jordan said...

I adore small town life, although my town is considered a city, but nothing metropolis by any stretch of the imagination. Our closest Starbucks is 45 minutes away, but I'm not a coffee drinker so it's no big deal for me.

Toxic people should wear those green Mr. Yuk stickers issued by poison control agencies. Jesus showed a lot more grace by dealing with them on a daily basis. Yesterday my grace-o-meter was maxed out. Thank goodness I can go to Him for a Godly refill. My goal for 2010 is to see others through Jesus' eyes. I may be setting myself up for failure, but hopefully it will be an eye opening experience.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz