Girls Write Out
Wednesday, February 24, 2010
In case you aren't from the South, I need to tell you that the ugly gray thing beside my hiking boot is an armadillo. A living armadillo, though you can pretty much guess why so many of us from Missouri and southwards see a lot of these poor little things dead alongside the road. Their vision isn't good, and they root for their food, so they make so much noise they can't hear danger stalking them. They become so focused on what's right in front of them, desperate for that next bite of food (I won't share what I saw this little one eating) that nothing else occurs to them. I've sneaked up on more than one of these on my hikes. They're fun to watch.

But it's certainly a lesson for me every time I do this. There's nothing wrong with tight focus, but I cannot be so tightly focused on one thing that I'm not alert to possible danger in my life. I can't be so focused on working to make a living that I neglect my walk with God. I shouldn't be so focused on daily chores that I forget to take time to look up and be thankful, and ask God for guidance and protection from all the predators who might be lurking.

What do you find takes your focus from your relationship with the One protector of your life?

This little guy forgot to look up, and didn't see me coming until he was on my foot. Then with a squeak he jumped and ran away, safe from me that day. How can we make sure we're safe in God's arms?


Hannah Alexander  
posted at 10:30 AM  
  Comments (11)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
11 Comments:
At 11:46 AM, Blogger Julie Carobini said...

GREAT post. Off to do my morning devotions now ... :-)

 
At 12:54 PM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

You're ahead of me, Julie. Sigh. Now to find time to practice what I preached! LOL

 
At 5:38 PM, Blogger jel said...

ya know what a armadillo is in these parts possum~on~the~halfshell :)

cool pic and post!

 
At 6:01 PM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

LOL. Yum! (NOT!) Thanks. Mel did the work for me, so I still don't know how to post a photo. Sigh

 
At 7:14 PM, Blogger Kristin said...

That is the UGLIEST thing I have ever seen, and to hear it squeal?? ACK!!! That's like seeing ET in the shed.

 
At 7:33 PM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

ROTFL!!!!! Thanks, Kris, I needed that. I can hear you saying it, voice inflections and facial expressions.

 
At 4:51 AM, Blogger Pam Sanderlin said...

Possum-on-the-halfshell? Ha!Ha!

Good post--and good reminder about not being myopic. :)

 
At 10:36 AM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

Yeah, you can tell our beloved jel is Ozarkian, can't you. Her love of the land is a huge clue.

 
At 5:52 PM, Blogger jel said...

yup I is an Ozark hillbilly,
and proud of it! :)

 
At 7:36 PM, Blogger Cheri said...

I have lived in San Antonio for 20 years and never seen a live armadillo except in a zoo, lol. I think I would have run the other way BEFORE it hit my foot~~

I think what keeps my focus off of God are the daily things that hit me. Sometimes, I lose focus that after all these years (which are many!, His "grace IS sufficient".

 
At 8:54 PM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

LOL. Apparently, a lot of people feel the same way about the poor little armadillo, Cheri. It isn't that cute, is it? But quite weird and fascinating. I've seen them on hikes for years. The first time my hiking friend and I startled one, it jumped straight at us, squeaking. Scared us half to death until we realized it just didn't know we were there and was terrified. That's what happens to me when I get my focus in a tiny zone that's all my own, and forget to watch out for attacks from the outside.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz