Girls Write Out
Tuesday, February 09, 2010
Memories are so precious. I promise that someday I'll remember how to post a photo with my blog, but life has been so hectic lately that I forgot to blog at all last week because Mel and I were traveling up to Indiana to see our GWO girls. Tomorrow is Diann's surgery, and I'll be too busy praying to do any blogging then. Please pray with me!

As I was at my mother's washing dishes today, I found a tiny teaspoon that I remember from early childhood--my baby spoon. It brought back so many memories. The fact that my mother still uses that spoon means she probably has a lot of memories, too, of feeding me my first bites of baby food, of pouring milk and sugar in my tea and stirring it with my favorite spoon.

Scents bring back memories for me, too. Tonight, as I walked through our master bedroom, I could still catch the scent of one of those cool bath bombs Colleen gave us when we stayed with her and Dave last week. What wonderful memories that scent elicited of Kristin, fresh from her soak in the clawfoot tub, snuggled in her fluffy bathrobe, and the warmth and comfort we felt in that beautiful home.

Old, familiar music can shoot me back in time to a trip across the country from Missouri to California--Beach Boys, baby, second time around!

Do you ever catch a certain scent or hear a certain tune that brings back fond memories? Care to share?

Hannah Alexander  
posted at 10:41 PM  
  Comments (6)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
6 Comments:
At 1:46 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

With me it's most often a word or a comment that makes the memories flood in. For example, today I read a comment about a way to see your childhood home on the internet. Right away I thought about a favorite song during a cold, snowy evening (like it is here in IN right now) and about getting lost 3 blocks away as a 6-year-old child. So I looked up the old place and it's still there! My favorite tree is gone and that reminded me of the fear of it toppling during a storm and how my mother would tuck me in bed in such a way so that I could keep watch out the window until I fell asleep. And the old lady's tiny house is still across the street! Seeing it still standing reminded me of how afraid I was of old people (and now I am one! LOL) and how I would run away when she came to the door to look out. I bet she was really nice and now I rather regret not getting to know her.

See what you started?? Methinks I'll do some more reminiscing on my own blog!

Will be praying especially hard tomorrow for Diann and family...and surgeons too!

 
At 8:09 AM, Blogger Pam Sanderlin said...

There are certain smells that evoke whole stories and eras of my life! How about coal smoke? It reminds me of Istanbul, Turkey. Pine trees ? Living in the Colorado Rockies. :)

 
At 8:46 AM, Blogger Southern-fried Fiction said...

Sometimes, I'll catch a slight whiff of something that triggers a memory, yet it remains illusive. That drives me nuts! I know - not a long drive.

Praying with you today, Hannah. Love to Di!

 
At 12:48 PM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

Thanks for those memories, friends. It's kind of a domino effect. i love recalling good memories.

Today I'm seeing Diann's laughing face, and that little glint in her eye when she's spouting off a quick one-liner that has us all rolling in the floor.

I prayed this morning--have been praying all morning--that God would place her in that percentage of patients who are totally in endless remission. God's grace is sufficient for us in all things, but as I told Him this morning, He placed an extra portion of that great grace into Diann's precious spirit, and we need all the grace we can get on this earth right now. Selfish maybe, but God can deal with that, as well.

 
At 8:21 PM, Blogger Suzanne said...

Had to think about it for a few days until it hit me just now. Scotch tape reminds me of being a little kid at Christmastime. Any time I smell it I'm whisked back to the townhouse I grew up in, upstairs in my mom's room where I helped her wrap presents. It has to be Scotch though. The cheap stuff isn't the same.

 
At 9:01 PM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

I DO remember Scotch tape and Christmas! I remember wrapping those presents myself...and loving the whole thing. Now I avoid the whole season if I can. Sad how bad memories can get mixed with good.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz