Girls Write Out
Sunday, February 14, 2010

Those who read my books might notice I usually set my stories in mountainous regions. I've set them in Jackson Hole, Wyoming, in the Blue Ridge Mountains, and currently in western Montana. Shoot, even Nantucket has a hill or two.

What most don't know is this obsession with hilly terrain comes from the fact that I live in a land flatter than than my pre-children stomach. Northeast Indiana is a great place to live and a great place to raise a family, but if you visit, be warned that some pre-historic glacier fought the hills, and the glacier won.

I didn't realize just how flat it was until one day when my children were young. We were cresting a speed bump when I heard a sound from the back seat. "Wheeeeee!" They have their hands in the air, and I'm thinking I just might take them over a second time. A lot cheaper than a ticket to Six Flags.

Winter brings it's own challenges around here. What's a kid to do with a 6 inches of snow and a day off school? Why we head to the hill of course. The one just off the interstate at the top of the exit ramp. Oh, yeah, winter fun at its best.

We do have phantom mountains here, though. You know, those distant clouds on the horizon that look like mountains, so you tell yourself they really are. They're gone in the morning, but it makes you feel good for a little while.

Oh, well. There are always the mountains in my books, in my imagination, and I can go there anytime I want through the power of story.

*Don't forget to pray for Diann*


Denise Hunter  
posted at 9:38 PM  
  Comments (7)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
7 Comments:
At 11:14 PM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

I miss the mountains, too, Denise, and so I love reading about them in your books. I know just what you mean about the phantom mountains when the clouds build up on the horizon. After growing up in a valley (Simi Valley) surrounded by mountains, I've found that cloud banks don't quite cut it.

 
At 1:39 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I grew up in the Blue Ridge Mountains and never wanted for sliding places in the winter. Like your part of Indiana, the area around Indianapolis, where I live, is so flat that I wondered if the earthquakes ever produced even a hill! One has to drive quite a ways south of here to find hills. Yes, there are places to slide here, but they are mostly man-made from construction of roads, buildings, etc. However, unlike you, I reserve the clouds for the teddy bears and carousel horses we see in the summertime!

 
At 9:06 AM, Blogger Pepper said...

Oh Denise- hardly any sledding hills? AHH! Gee, I've never lived outside the Blue Ridge Mountains and I still want to write about them as much as possible :-) I bet you do miss them.
Did you live near the Blue Ridge ever?

 
At 10:25 AM, Blogger Tiffany Amber Stockton said...

Ahh, mountains. Yes, I definitely relate to your love of them. I've had a yen for them my entire life. I grew up for the most part in Delaware where the highest "hill" is only 331 feet. We had a timeshare in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia though and it was one of my favorite places to visit.

But by far, the Rocky Mountains claim my heart, and now that I live here, I'll never go anywhere else. Majestic peaks, snow-capped tops, purple mountain majesties first thing in the morning....

Ahh, true heaven...or the closest thing to it yet. :)

 
At 12:19 PM, Blogger Barb said...

I lived in Ft. Wayne in early childhood and we had good friends just over the Ohio state line. They lived in the country and the flat land just seemed to be alot of squares divided by roads. I've lived in TN and PA and now the Kansas City area. Where I live now has more than enough hills for me.

 
At 1:33 PM, Blogger Denise Hunter said...

Good to know I'm not the only mountain lover.

No, Pepper, I've never lived near the Blue Ridge Mountains, but I did visit to research for Sweetwater Gap. I grew up in southern Ohio where there were hills aplenty.

 
At 7:00 PM, Blogger Trekkie4Ever said...

I miss the mountains too. I live in Arkansas and it is pretty flat in our area, hills but no mountains. There is just something about mountains that make them majestic.

We have really enjoyed our snowy weather and I still want more!

Will continue to pray for Diann.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz