Girls Write Out
Wednesday, March 10, 2010
Family Reunions

There comes a time in most lives when we begin to feel an interest in becoming reacquainted with our relatives. Maybe it's because we're getting older and becoming more aware of our mortality, I don't know, but I've seen a lot of families starting to have reunions yearly. My extended family--which numbers into the hundreds if I include first, second and third cousins--has begun to meet once a year. Though it's overwhelming, I love it. I get to see cousins I grew up with who actually turned out well, to my everlasting relief. And they actually seem happy to see me again, also to my great relief.

I have an uncle and some cousins who love to research family history--and I'm not going to tell you all about mine, because...let's just say it would make for a frightening novel. We share stories at our reunions, and bask in the knowledge that our line will continue--most likely--until the return of Christ. In fact, the way we're going, we may be able to fill a small country in the not-too-distant future.

Most of us have other family members--those who are related to us by faith in Jesus Christ. Many of these relationships come and go in our lives when we move or they take jobs in other places. Losing these beloved friends is hard when we are separated, but we will always have the knowledge that we will spend eternity together.

This weekend, Mel and I will be spending a few days with three of the friends who helped bring us together--one of whom pronounced us husband and wife over fourteen years ago. This will be a great reunion for us, because they left our church several years ago to join a ministry elsewhere. But this weekend we will have a small family reunion, and talk and laugh, maybe cry a little, and share fond memories. How glad I am that we have stayed in touch over the years.

Do you have out-of-state friends who made an impact on your life? Maybe you would want to share memories with us? Maybe you would want to drop them a card or an email, or even call them.

PLEASE REMEMBER TO PRAY FOR DIANN HUNT THE REMAINDER OF THIS WEEK.
Hannah Alexander  
posted at 10:10 AM  
  Comments (6)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
6 Comments:
At 10:49 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Last weekend, I got together with three friends who I met at church camp when I was 13. It was so wonderful to see them. There's something special about relationships that survive the test of time.

 
At 2:36 PM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

I agree, Julie. I live in the town where I graduated, and so I get to see former classmates a lot. It's great, since we grew up together during our formative years.

 
At 6:38 PM, Blogger jel said...

hope ya have a good time!

 
At 7:05 PM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

Thank you, my dear. We'll have to fly to LA. It's in California this year. That's what happens with a huge family.

 
At 11:16 PM, Blogger Pam Sanderlin said...

Have a great time! Yay! That's so special to be with those key people in your lives!

We have been to several family reunions when we've been in the States and those have been a lot of fun and very special.

The other reunions that have meant a lot have been with long time friends we've known overseas. Some of those have been accidental meetings in airports or in unusual places (Kyrgyzstan and Nepal!). Others have been spontaneous invites where we've thrown the gear in the car an hour later and gone to meet friends from a distant city.

My very favorite reunions, though, have been the times when my students come back to see me. I am fortunate to know my students well and consider them my children, so I usually cry when I see them. Yay! ( I know this is out of context, but I've often felt that God has blessed me with an Isaiah 54:1 situation (since I had 2 miscarriages and 1 beloved, adopted daughter): "Sing, O barren woman, you who never bore a child; burst into song, shout for joy, you who were never in labor; because more are the children of the desolate woman than of her who has a husband,” says the LORD. )

P.S. Am praying for Diann.

 
At 3:26 AM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

Pam, thanks for praying for Diann. Pray HARD right now for her.

And thanks for that verse. It meant so much to me, because I'm struggling with my mother's health right now, and I keep thinking, I have no children of my own to take care of me when I'm her age. What you said is a comfort.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz