Girls Write Out
Wednesday, March 24, 2010
I was scrolling through the photos I have, looking for something that would make me feel peaceful. This was it. All that green. I just want to be sitting under that weeping willow tree--or maybe lying beneath it, soaking up the birdsong and the gentle breeze and the scent of life. That this photo was taken, in the winter time means it is in a totally different climate zone from mine, and that suits me fine. Better than fine.

Life has been so hectic lately--I know it's been wild for all us from GirlsWriteOut--and so I wanted to share something peaceful. This is it.

For me, between finding a place for my mother to have excellent care and socialization ops, rushing to appointments with doctors for my own medical problems, taking Mel to have his wisdom teeth removed, and taking a stray, half-grown kitten to have his masculinity removed--and none too soon!--I am just a jumble of stress and tight muscles. Time for a massage.

But you can help me with one thing that would take a huge load off my shoulders. When I spoke to the vets about this kitten, they asked me his name. Well, hello? He's not my kitten! Someone dumped him! I'm just doing my duty to make sure there aren't more little kittens running around without a home a few months from now. Of course, he IS in the house right now, eating all the food I give him, sleeping in the laundry room, looking scrawny and lost--they also had to pull three broken teeth. But if I'm going to find a good home for him, I need a good name. He's gray with slight tabby stripes and white face. His eyes look sad--probably because he was dumped by someone he trusted. He's extremely affectionate, and eats like a hog.

If anyone has any good ideas about what to name him, I'd appreciate input. Anything to take one more decision off my shoulders for now. Oh, yes, I'd show you a picture of him, but Mel's asleep after his day at the oral surgeon's office, and I'm already late getting this post out. And besides, I still want to crawl under that willow tree and sleep the day away.

Hannah Alexander  
posted at 6:19 PM  
  Comments (14)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
14 Comments:
At 7:02 PM, Blogger Barb said...

Pajamas

 
At 7:07 PM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

I like that. PJ for short. Because he does have white feet and a white tip on his tail. Thanks, Barb!

 
At 7:08 PM, Blogger Kristin said...

We want to see the kitty!

 
At 7:27 PM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

Okay, as soon as Mel wakes up I'll have him post a photo. That may not happen for awhile. He just took a pain pill.

And for tomorrow...deworming. Not Mel, the kitten.

 
At 8:58 PM, Blogger jel said...

you could call him "sad sack"



glad to it is the cat and not Mel ;)

 
At 9:00 PM, Blogger jel said...

that is a way cool picture!

 
At 9:10 PM, Blogger Abby said...

I think you HAVE to keep him!

 
At 9:14 PM, Blogger adge said...

Good luck. It took us awhile to come up with a name for one of our cats. It started out as Moana because "she" meowed so much. When we went to get "her" fixed she came out a he with a big NEUTERED MALE written across his form. He had very feminine qualities though. We changed Moana a few times until we came up with Harry and then changed it once more to Lou. So he's been Lou for awhile now. We also have one other cat named Davi.

 
At 10:06 PM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

Sad sack. Saddie...hmm...
I usually watch a cat for awhile and then come up with a name to match the personality. Data--we initially named HER Joy until HE got neutered. He had yellow eyes and I love Star Trek (so I'm old. Sue me.) Teddy Bear lives up to the second name rather than the first--she's a bear when a new cat comes into the house. And Hobbit is fat and occasionally psycho. Has anyone ever noticed that it's hard to tell the difference between a neutered male and a female?

I do love that picture. My uncle lives in a condo there in California, and I can't wait to visit him this summer and find that tree.

If we keep this cat, Teddy Bear may rip me to shreds. She's already drawn blood--not much, but enough to let me know she means business. She made up later.

Seriously, if someone wants a darling little neutered boy cat, let me know!

 
At 10:22 PM, Blogger Beverly said...

Okay, I love name games... :-)

...Snuggles (taps into his personality and his room of residence right now, haha) Cuddles?

...I love literary names, so how about Billerbeck, HUNTer, or Coble? Mr. Darcy? Sherlock? Poe (then he'd get sympathy all his life...oh that Poe little boy...) :-)

...Favorite Singers? Elvis? Willy? Mercy Me? Ha! Um, flailing here, I can never remember artists names!

...Bible names? Hathach, Esther's eunuch? Sorry. But, I do like Mordecai or Morty.

... Desi (I'm an I love Lucy fan!)? Gilligan/Gilly? Skipper? The Professor? Mr. Howell? :-) Van Dyke?

...in honor of your favorite doctors? We have Tex and Jake, but had they gotten here early, they were going to be Duffy and O'Shaughnessey.

OK, I will stop. :-)

Let us know who he ends up being!

 
At 11:11 PM, Blogger Rachel Overton said...

You might consider "lunch" if Teddy Bear has such an aversion. LOL

 
At 1:45 AM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

LOL. Oh, Beverly, those are such inspiring names! i especially like Gilligan. I used to watch Gilligan's Island all the time. Professor. Skipper. Mr Howell...I'm so glad I'm not the only one who lives in the past--the best shows on television.

Mr. Ed?

Then there were the Monkees--Davy, Mickey, Peter, Mike. Beatles. John, Paul, Ringo, George. Okay, not much to choose from there.

Mr. D'Arcy?

Skipper would work since he skipped from being dumped to begging at our front door, back door, windows....
Sigh

 
At 1:49 AM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

Lunch! Oh, that's hilarious! Yes Teddy Bear will behave.She hasn't eaten the competition yet. She's wanted to, but she has self-control.
LOL

 
At 2:00 AM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

Oh, Rachel, Teddy Bear doesn't eat other cats for lunch. She eats my hands. LOL

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz