Girls Write Out
Friday, March 12, 2010

If there's anything Di's battle with cancer can teach us (and YAY for her great new numbers and rapid, giggly recovery after her second chemo!) But if there's anything we all can learn, it's to slow down and not miss out on what's important in life. Priorities are different for everyone and one of the things I'm learning with age is never to judge anyone else's priorities. I was born with a love for shoes and handbags. In fact, my first memory of money is actually of the little leather purse my grandfather brought me from Arizona. Today as we passed the Geox shoe store, I longed for those days when I could put my kids into cute shoes. Now I get no say in the matter. But as we passed on the way to spend my son's Lego gift certificate for his birthday, he asked me. "Mom, how come we always had great shoes? I remember that."

"Because I always had sturdy, brown ugly shoes." As Scarlett stood on that hill with the turnip in her hand and wailed, I did much the same thing with my first paycheck at 13 years old. "As God is my witness, I will NEVER have ugly shoes again!"

I can't tell you the kind of motivation several pairs of boots have provided me with the urge to get up and go to work. In College, I had a $200 leather messenger bag by Kenneth Cole. My rent was $210 a month then. I lived with three other roommates. Just so that I COULD not be without cute shoes.

Here's what irritates me. When people say that buying those kind of things are a self-esteem issue. Or that if I felt better about myself, I wouldn't need cute shoes. Listen, I knew at FOUR that something was wrong with my shoes. And I was a spoiled, only granddaughter on both sides. (Though they thought it was spoiling me to give me brown sturdy shoes from Macy's -- go figure.) Listen if Buster Brown is hiding in it? I do NOT want it, all right?

I would wear cute shoes if I were the ONLY one on the planet. I do not do it for YOU. I do it because like a piece of artwork, it makes me happy to see cute feet. Same reason I like pedicures. I live within my means. I am a Christian. So I'm not Mother Theresa. Please, one visit to the streets of Calcutta and I would be vomiting the last five years. I'd like to be sweet-natured and just constantly doing good works. But that's not how God built me.

He built me to take the kids no one else can handle at church. He built me to put crabby babies to sleep, to be the playdate house, to write. He did NOT build me to wear ugly shoes. And if that's your job, more power to you. Just don't judge mine. All I'm saying.
Kristin  
posted at 9:59 PM  
  Comments (7)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
7 Comments:
At 11:43 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Honey, with legs like that, you NEED cute shoes!! ;-)

 
At 1:02 AM, Blogger Kristin said...

Oh Ruthie, you are so sweet. LOL Thank you. : )

 
At 5:57 AM, Blogger Cathy Shouse said...

Well said, Kristin! We're all different and should stop judging each other.

I find this easier said than done. For quite a while our church had listed in the prayer bulletin to pray for "members we haven't seen in awhile" and "judgmental people." I thought they might have meant me and were just afraid to list my name. LOL

 
At 7:26 AM, Blogger Diann Hunt said...

Oh, Kristin, I love your gut-level honesty!!

When I get home, I think I'll go buy me a cute pair of shoes!! :-)

 
At 10:06 AM, Blogger Southern-fried Fiction said...

AMEN and AMEN!!!!! I adore handbags and cut shoes. Funny thing is, I hate to WEAR shoes, but by golly, my closet is full of them!! LOL

And yeah my biggest indulgence is handbags. Right now, it's crossbody bags. I like the idea of being hands free, and I hate it when my shoulder bag strap continually falls off my shoulder. In fact, I think I need to make a trip to the mall to check out the Guess crossbody bag. I'll be right back ...

 
At 1:37 PM, Blogger Donna said...

I totally agree with you - we have to stop judging people and living other peoples lives and get on with living our own lives. Life is to short to not take advantage of all that God has made available for us. God Bless!

 
At 12:00 PM, Blogger Kristin said...

I love all your comments. It's a reminder for me to about judging people. It's funny how we're all on the wrong side of it so much, which tells you people have too much time on their hands.

Di, you get home, I will BUY you a cute pair of shoes. Zappos, here we come!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz