Girls Write Out
Tuesday, April 06, 2010




CHEESEBURGER IN PARADISE

Before I tell you where I am, I have to share our fabulous news--Diann's CT-125 score is 19!!!!! Well in normal range! Praise God for answered prayer!

Now to where I am. I'm looking at this view right now if you can believe it! The whole family is here in St Croix, our first visit to the Caribbean. Well if you don't count a short cruise we took. We found out we are NOT cruise fans. We don't like being on someone else's schedule. Here at the house, we can do what we like, when we like. We have found out that cheeseburgers are about all we can afford though. LOL The food is way expensive, even buying it to cook here. We paid $10 for a gallon of milk the first day then found it for $5 at another store so that's better.

I'm now beginning to think we might survive too. When we came out of the airport in the rental cars with both Daves driving on the left side of the road, it was SCARY!!!! I still wince when we go turn a corner because it feels so WRONG. After 11 days of driving on the left side, I have a feeling I'll be just as freaked out when we go back to the right side of the road. LOL

One thing I'm finding out already is that I still love history. I'm fascinated by the history of this place, by the ruins of Danish windmills and sugar plantations, by the people and the culture. No wonder I'm enjoying writing the historical romantic mysteries so much! Nothing like it taking a while to find my spot. How about you? When you visit other places, do you find yourself interested in the history?

Here is the house we've rented. Fjell House.If you want to stay in paradise sometime, I highly recommend it! The owners, Herb and Liz Land, have been just wonderful. But I have to go now. I hear some jewelry shopping calling my name. . .But before I go, any tips for the caribbean? Any of you been here?

Labels: ,

Colleen Coble  
posted at 8:03 AM  
  Comments (8)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
8 Comments:
At 8:30 AM, Blogger Cathy Shouse said...

I've never been to the Caribbean. Thanks for a glimpse into what it's like. I've had my inspiration for the day.
Maybe we should launch a remake of that show and call it "Lives of Rich and Famous Authors." lol

 
At 9:34 AM, Blogger Jaime Wright said...

I'm expecting a new historical suspense series set in St. Croix now. And was that cute little Punky on your lap in one of those pics??? :)

 
At 1:22 PM, Blogger Kristin said...

I've never been there either, but I remember when my dad went to Fiji, he complained a Heineken was $7 a bottle and that was twenty years' ago. Paradise does not come cheap I guess. You look so skinny sitting there in front of the ocean. You should be in a bikini girl!

 
At 3:40 PM, Blogger Colleen Coble said...

Oh I've always wanted to see Fiji!

 
At 9:59 PM, Blogger Diann Hunt said...

Great photos! You look awesome, C!!!

 
At 1:04 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

While I've never been to the Caribbean, I spent 10 years in Hawaii living, working, and marrying my husband (a US Navy submarine sailor). So I know how expensive "paradise" is.

As to the history of new places, I have my father to thank. He taught me to learn what I could about the people who preceded me, even if I'm just a visitor. I learned to try to imagine what their world looked like compared to what it looks like around me. I tried to picture the typical home, workplace/farm, places of worship, etc.

For example, have you ever been to the National Park sites at Concord and Lexington, MA? Between the two towns is a narrow road down which the English soldiers marched, all straight in their rows with their red coats and gleaming buttons. Bordering each side of the road were rock walls and the woods a short way behind the walls. That's where the revolutionaries hid, picking off the Englishmen one by one. Being there and seeing it in my mind's eye made it so real. Now THAT's history!!

 
At 8:13 AM, Blogger Pamela S. Meyers said...

Beautiful shots! Reminds me of watching HGTV House Hunters when they have people looking for second homes, or sometimes permanent ones, down there. But those prices will kill you unless you are wealthy. No wonder there are often two levels of society in many of those islands. Poor and wealthy, but no middle class. Love it that you could take Punky too! What fun. Oh yeah, your big babies are there also :-). Double fun!

 
At 1:05 PM, Blogger celestemc said...

Yay! It sounds like you are having a fabulous time! The pics are amazing... you look great, and that pool... well, let's just say that I'm not sure I would even go anywhere else. I love the history of places as well, and am so glad that you carry that element into your stories.

Thanks for sharing with us!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz