Girls Write Out
Friday, April 30, 2010

Planning...

One of the things that I have never been particularly good at is planning my life so that everything doesn't happen all at once. Case in point? It's testing week for the kids, so they need a healthy, hearty breakfast their school papers say. Put them to bed early and greet them with a health breakfast. Gosh, doesn't that sound heavenly?

Except I have no kitchen right now. No sink, no way to cook, and my refrigerator is on the front porch. This is not iHop people. Your choices are, a bowl of cereal, a Pop Tart or a muffin from Starbucks. Take your pick. Yes, the Billerbecks will be responsible for bringing down Cupertino's magnificent test scores, because they had to have a new kitchen. If my neighbors come with burning pitchforks because the real estate prices have dropped, I'll let you know. Hey, my house is worth more. I have a new kitchen.

My book is due tomorrow, and I think I'm going to make it. But no thanks to my planning because the dust kicked up from the grinding of that horrible floor caused my MS to go into full gear, so I've been sleeping. A lot. Which isn't conducive to writing. Go figure. Then, I never account for real life. Two kids to the orthodontist, two to soccer twice a week, one at track daily, the tutor, two dr's appt -- can I not look at a calendar and say, oh not the best week for appointments. Hmm. Better reschedule.

No, because calendars and me do not mix. Dates are too much like math. But let's be honest, if I planned, I would never have had four kids to begin with! This is why I'm a firm believer in family pictures. They edit out the chasms of real life. So when all planning fails, my advice is to schedule a family photo.
Kristin  
posted at 1:18 PM  
  Comments (7)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
7 Comments:
At 1:58 PM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

That's a great picture, Kris.

I keep a large calendar in the kitchen where I write down appointments. My April appointments all got cancelled due to illness, due to too much stress. Man, that April calendar is FULL of scribbles. I guess I have the same problem you do. Keep on pushing for that deadline!

 
At 2:00 PM, Blogger Kristin said...

Calendars don't help me because I never look at them. Even the one on the phone that sends me a message. That will be the day I've left the cell in the car. LOL

 
At 5:11 PM, Blogger Diann Hunt said...

ROTFLOL!! I loved the burning pitchforks thing!! I think you're doing pretty doggone well considering all that's going on with the kitchen and deadline!

I can't find my calendar and I'm totally lost without it! I have no idea where I'm supposed to be and when.

When you get to be my age, you need something to jog your memory. :-)

 
At 10:22 PM, Blogger Cathy Shouse said...

You almost inspired me to get a family photo. We have several of the kids but very few of all of us.

Be careful what you wish for. My life is simpler since our son got his license exactly a week ago. I'm not sure how much time I'm really saving, though, because I constantely think and pray about his driving safely on his own.

 
At 2:03 AM, Blogger Anna said...

Aw,you have a beautiful family.

 
At 8:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely picture of you and your family.

 
At 10:24 PM, Blogger Kristin said...

Oh Cathy, I have one ready to drive, and it scares me. Luckily, he hasn't pressured us yet, so we're "steering" clear of that so far. I know Denise is handling it.

Thanks for the nice comments on the family We clean up well. LOL

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz