Girls Write Out
Thursday, April 29, 2010

When our kids left home, I assumed the job of mowing our lawn. We live on a corner lot, so our lawn is fairly good-size. A little less than an acre. I used an electric self-propelled push mower.

Not that I minded. It wasn't that hard to do. It just took me an hour and a half to do it. My husband would have done it, of course, but I was trying to help him because he was so busy and I wasn't.

Then we got a John Deere tractor mower.

Guess who mows now? Yep, hubby does. Why is that?

In all fairness, he did try to teach me to use the mower once. I see women on tractor mowers all the time. But I think I blew it with my first lesson.

I got on the mower and so help me, this powerful feeling came over me. I don't know if it was the roar of the engine of the fact I was elevated high in the seat, but I felt practically giddy. This mower had personality (think of the tipping tractors on the movie CARS).

So once hubby tells me how, I take off. I'm waving at the gathering neighbors. I'm screaming, "Whoohooo," and "Yeeehaw!" I'm racing around our house like I'm at the Indy 500, and hubby is running behind me, wildly waving his arms and screaming at the top of his lungs, 'Course, I have no idea what he's saying, but I'm rather enjoying the way his face contorts with every word. I know I should be ashamed, but it's like this evil mower woman came over me.

By now the neighbors have hauled chairs out to the curb and they're passing popcorn.

The only one not having fun is my husband. We make a couple more rounds through the shaved yard (which is looking pretty, well, interesting by this time) and finally when hubby's running slows to a mere trot and he's gasping for breath, I decide to hand over the keys.

He's been doing the mowing ever since.

To be honest, I need to add that he has offered to let me on again (he was delirious at the time), but now I'm afraid to. This time, the neighbors might sell tickets.

So, do you do the mowing at your house or does your hubby? If you have a tractor mower, does he share?

P.S. The picture is our son-in-law teaching Little Dude (our grandson) just how it's done. You mark my words, they'll work their way up to a tractor one day!

Labels: , , ,

Diann Hunt  
posted at 8:25 AM  
  Comments (11)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
11 Comments:
At 11:27 AM, Blogger Pam Sanderlin said...

Ha!Ha! This was a hilarious post! Loved it.

No lawn. No lawn mower. I live on the 10th floor of a high rise.

I used to mow the lawn when I was in high school, though. I hated it when my legs would get all sweaty and the grass blades would stick to them.

 
At 11:39 AM, Blogger Southern-fried Fiction said...

Now why is it that I could absolutely SEE this episode? LOLOLOL

But, as for me, I never allowed the hubs to teach me how to use the mower. Oh, he offered. But I refused. I'm too smart for that. I knew if he showed me how, it would become my job. I allergic to grass. Mowing it is the last thing I need to do.

Hey, that's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

 
At 12:07 PM, Blogger Diann Hunt said...

I like the new picture, Pam!!

Ane, you are one smart chick! I should have used that allergy thing--not that it matters now that we have a tractor. LOL

 
At 1:08 PM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

Hilarious, Diann! I can only use a push mower since I can't sit for long, so Mel mows with our rider. I want a push mower, because really, it's good exercise and it gets me outside.

 
At 4:08 PM, Blogger Suzanne said...

I have never cut a blade of grass in my life. I am of the assumption of that's why we have men. They also take out the trash and put gas in the car.

I was totally meant to be a kept woman.

P.S. LOVE the picture :)

 
At 8:45 AM, Blogger Colleen Coble said...

I totally cracked up reading this. This is how I would be too. LOL

Would you believe NEITHER of us mow our postcard sized yard? It takes all of 20 minutes MAYBE but we hire it done. LOL

 
At 9:33 AM, Blogger EJ said...

I got one lesson on the riding lawn mower also - and have never touched it again. My husband ran after me yelling because I was driving down the sidewalk with the blade down. He was yelling something about the cost of replacing the blade! He has now taught our 2 sons to use the riding lawn mower - so now the only thing I have to do is to remind the boys to cut the grass.

 
At 1:17 PM, Blogger Kristin said...

It would never occur to me to mow the lawn, though my mother did it. With a push mower no less. LOL

That picture looks like a professional shot. I never would have known it was Xander if you hadn't said so. SOOO cute.

 
At 7:03 PM, Blogger Scraproni: Adventures of Single Woman said...

Thank you for the great belly laugh, and i'm still giggling as i'm typing this. The imagery is just classic. now i can start my day with a giggle. Thank you.
The moving is done by a great friend.

 
At 8:15 AM, Blogger Diann Hunt said...

EJ, loved the story. That would soooo be me with the blade down!

Oh well, my days of lawn mowing are over, I think. Unless I ever sneak the keys to the tractor mower again. :-)

 
At 9:35 PM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

Um...you know the lawn mower stories? We bought one today, and I've already broken it. Sigh.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz