Girls Write Out
Saturday, August 28, 2010

If you've hung around our blog at all, you KNOW how much I adore Erin Healy! She's edited all of my Thomas Nelson books except for one. She's an integral part of the team and I so love and value her opinion. And I love her a friend as well. She's done some books with Ted Dekker, but she's now writing on her own. You're in for a treat when you read Never Let You Go. Here's an interview I recently did with my dear Erin. Enjoy!

We all have a "bent" toward a certain kind of stories. How is Never Let You Go the kind of story you like to write? What elements would you call your "trademark" and how did you settle on them?

I'm über-interested in stories about ways in which our spiritual and physical lives intersect. In NEVER LET YOU GO, a single mother's pain and unforgiveness become a physical threat to her daughter. Thinking about spiritual truths in physical terms is not only intriguing but can be enlightening. Today, our spiritual lives, especially as Christians, are positioned in front of an intellectual firing squad. My stories will always show human beings confronting spiritual elements of our humanity, and there will always be high stakes (great suspense), because I think we live in a world in which the spiritual stakes are truly high! The harder we smart people try to make sense of the world, the less it makes sense. Should we be so surprised that the answers to our most burning questions lie in a supernatural plane?

Lexi's love for her daughter drove everything she does in the story. Tell us about your family. This is your chance to brag on your kids!

I have an incredible, loving family. My husband Tim is a supportive husband and reliable father. Our daughter and son are twelve and two respectively, each in exciting (yes, exciting) phases of life! I love them all beyond words. They keep me humble and are always teaching me how to be a better person. I'm also blessed with parents and in-laws who live nearby, and my sister's family lives in the area too. There is nothing better in this world than an extended family that can function so well together. They're amazing, each of them.
How is Never Let You Go different from the books you've co-written with Ted Dekker?

No one gets drugged, electrocuted, or chased by a murderous villain. I'm partly teasing ... but I hope NLYG (and all my books) dives deeper into the hearts of my characters, so that there's as much suspense arising from their choices as from their circumstances.

Have you ever had a supernatural experience? Seen an angel?

I've never seen an angel (that I recognized), but I was raised in a Pentecostal church, where I saw plenty of things that I can't explain. And I recall an experience that sharpened my awareness of a spiritual dimension in this world: As a student I spent time in England with American classmates. We once passed through a small town where druids have deep roots. The tourist attractions emphasized this. We were there only for lunch, in the middle of the day. After eating, some students went window shopping; others took a hike up a nearby knoll. For no logical reason, I was filled with fear to be in this town. I returned to the bus right away to wait with the driver, eager to leave as soon as possible. My friends came back sooner than expected. All of us were experiencing similar disquiet (especially those who'd gone hiking) and no one wanted to linger.

Children are so quick to forgive and adults so slow to do the same. Any advice to help someone struggling with a lack of forgiveness?

I dedicated NEVER LET YOU GO to my daughter, because she forgives me so readily. I think we grownups have trouble forgiving for many reasons, including that we dwell too long on offenses because we've lost hope of seeing justice. For me, maintaining awareness of my many flaws, errors, and willful sins makes it a lot easier to extend grace to other people. I've been forgiven of so much.

Have you ever been a waitress?

Oh yes! Worked my way through college during the summers at a family restaurant in my hometown.
Where did the idea for Never Let You Go come from?
NLYG is a supernatural thriller about the terrifying effects of a parent’s bitterness on her dearly loved child. The idea came from real-life observations about how families unwittingly pass bitterness through generations. I was curious about why that happens and what it takes to break the cycle. So often we don't think our unforgiveness harms anyone but ourselves.

What's up next for you?

THE PROMISES SHE KEEPS comes out in January 2011. It's the story of two women who are seeking immortality, and the autistic artist who shows them the unexpected way.

Thanks so much, Erin, for hanging out here with us!

Labels: , ,

Colleen Coble  
posted at 1:16 PM  
  Comments (2)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
2 Comments:
At 1:30 PM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

This sounds like the kind of book I'd love to read. Can't wait to get a copy of it.

 
At 7:49 AM, Blogger Diann Hunt said...

That sounds like a wonderful story, Erin!! I'll look forward to reading it!!

Thanks for the great interview! Loved getting insight on your book and your thoughts behind it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz