Girls Write Out
Tuesday, August 17, 2010
My 40th class reunion was on Saturday night. It was something I'd been looking forward to for months. There is something about seeing all the "kids" you were young and dumb with once upon a time. No reason to even try to put on any masks because we all remembered the nutty stuff we used to do.

It was an emotional night and so fun seeing how we all turned out. There was Ben who was one of the bad boys in high school. Now he owns his own Huey helicopter and flies all over the world doing things like fighting forest fires and all kinds of heroic things. Craig and Monica fell in love at 14 or some crazy young age like that and are still happily married and still look young. LOL My friend Cyndy here in the middle is an attorney. And Bonnie is a school librarian. Marie lives in Connecticut and we had the best time running around on Friday. The years fell away when we saw each other. One of the girls is a travel agent (so fun!) and some of the guys are teachers. One of my friends told me she saw a woman reading one of my books in Oklahoma and told her she went to school with me. The gal didn't believe her until she started telling her things about me. LOL Marie and I were looking at our old yearbook. We saw the group of Future Teachers of America (I was in it. I was going to be a Latin teacher. LOL) and only Kyle actually because a teacher from that group.

It was so fun! But you know, these people shaped the person I became in many ways. I look back though and have regrets. I remember some of the lost and lonely kids in our school that I wish I'd taken more time to get to know and to help. I wish I knew then that sometimes an aloof attitude hid a hurting heart. I was easily rebuffed then but I wouldn't have taken that rebuff if I hadn't been so young and dumb.

What about you? Any regrets from school? What would you have done differently? Or if you're in school, what can you do differently NOW?

Labels:

Colleen Coble  
posted at 8:56 AM  
  Comments (6)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
6 Comments:
At 9:38 AM, Blogger Denise Hunter said...

Sounds like you had a blast, C! If I had it to do over, I'd care a lot LESS what everyone else thought and just be myself.

 
At 10:35 AM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

I agree with Denise...no, wait, I didn't care so much about what people thought. That's why I was the class weirdo. I wish I'd paid more attention to my classes and listened better to the teachers instead of being one of the rabble rousers. Some of us girls from my graduating class get together for a pajama party every year, and we're trying to encourage more to join us. It's so much fun being with people you've known since grade school. Colleen, you look wonderful!!

 
At 12:24 PM, Blogger Pam Sanderlin said...

I barely remember high school, so much has happened since then (LOL). Then again, it may be early-onset of dementia! My 40th is coming up next summer, but I can't decide if I'll go or not because I don't know hardly anyone. My class was large--869--and I haven't kept up with many people. You're so fortunate! :)

Great picture of you, Colleen!

 
At 2:10 PM, Blogger MePlusFour said...

You have me thinking about my daughter who is just now entering high school! I don't want her to have any regrets, alas I know she will. This post has me rethinking my whole way of approaching "high school once again." I will be a more encouraging mother. Stand up for her if she is feeling bad about herself. I have so much more to say about my lovely daughter but that will only end up in tears. I am so proud of her. Please pray for my daughter as she goes through high school! Gods Blessings Heather

 
At 11:26 PM, Blogger Crystal Laine said...

I married the guy who sat behind me in sophomore English class (but not until he was in his 2nd year of med school.) He used to pull my long blonde hair! And I'm friends with others from my HS.

I would've played tennis instead of being on the track team. (Though being on track made me a good track coach--my girls were city champions!) And I would've gone out for the golf team (and would have been the only girl on the team.) The coach kept encouraging me but back then I worried about my dad saying no.

I enjoyed hearing about your classmates and how much you enjoyed your reunion.

 
At 1:06 AM, Blogger Crystal Mazzuca said...

I'm only ten years out of high school but a completely different person! I would love to tell my high school self to pay attention, try harder, not be so mean, and realize that the world doesn't revolve around boys (though my world does kind of revolve around boys, but I guess that happens when you are a stay at home mom :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz