Girls Write Out
Tuesday, October 19, 2010
This is not a spider story, it's a study about whether my husband is more afraid of spiders or of me.

Last weekend, I went on a girlfriend retreat while poor Mel worked Saturday and Sunday. Two twelve-hour day shifts. Which means he didn't get home until after dark on Saturday. I had left specific instructions for him to water our recently planted shrubs. I know. I'm a shrew.

He was also supposed to feed the cats and put them to bed, and they were starving by the time he got home, so even though he did arrive before it was totally dark, he didn't get to the front yard until pitch black. The porch light doesn't reach far, so he improvised. He backed the car out of the garage and parked it at a crazy angle so he could shine the headlights across the yard. It wasn't quite enough for him.

If you will remember the mowing-through-spider-web incident a couple of weeks ago (little-girl scream ring any bells?) you can certainly understand why he was hesitant to walk between the trees, where Charlotte the 15th likes to build her webs. So he took a flashlight. A big one. And before he watered the shrubs, he sprayed the trees down really well so that if there were webs anywhere nearby, the water droplets would shine in the huge glow of the big flashlight and the headlights. And he kept the light aimed where he was aiming the hose.

So here's Mel hopping around in the front yard, huge light bouncing up and down in the dark, water spraying everywhere. It must have been a sight to behold. The police thought so.

Have I mentioned that we've had a few...um...incidents in our neighborhood that involved the police? It's a tiny town, and the police know us well because of interesting experiences we've had with them--but I'll tell you about the Halloween house alarm and the pit bull and the meth-house busts later.

So by the time Mel actually reached the shrubs and started watering, an officer in a cruiser pulled to the side of the road. He must have been thinking, "Oh, no, what this time?"

"Uh, are you okay?" he asked.

"Yes," Mel said, totally unruffled, "just unorthodox."

"How's that?"

So Mel explained. I don't think the officer was surprised. I'm hoping he was impressed by Mel's thoughtfulness toward me and his ability to think outside the box. Probably not, but one can always hope. Mel kept his promise, and I was deeply moved...to laugh. He laughed with me.

Do you have any loved ones who have gone to such lengths to meet your expectations, even to the point of embarrassing themselves? I bet you do if you think hard enough. I'd love to hear your stories.

Labels: , ,

Hannah Alexander  
posted at 8:56 PM  
  Comments (9)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
9 Comments:
At 3:41 PM, Blogger Colleen Coble said...

Love that pic of Mel! Heck, I wouldn't have bothered with anything outside that late. I would have fed the cats and that's IT!

 
At 3:42 PM, Blogger Kristin said...

No, I don't have any of those people. What's that like? LOL

 
At 4:27 PM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

Colleen, you would have been right, because it rained a day later. Poor Mel. All that for nothing.

 
At 4:27 PM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

Okay, Kris, I'd make a fool of myself for you. So would Colleen, I'm sure. And Diann and Denise...we LOVE you!

 
At 4:55 PM, Blogger Crystal Laine said...

ROTFL!

 
At 5:45 PM, Blogger jel said...

ok I saw this about 4AM this morning ,and the pic scare me,(sorry Mel)

but now that I'm awake , I bet that was funny, too bad ya didn't a moviecamera out there ya might have won some money from "AFV" :)

 
At 8:07 PM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

It would have been nice if I'd had a camera at the time. Sorry Mel's picture scared you, jel. LOL!!

 
At 9:30 AM, Blogger Diann Hunt said...

That picture is hilarious!! Talk about a scary! Perfect picture for a suspense writer--you should have one like that taken of you and put on your books. LOL! Love it!

 
At 3:45 PM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

Wow, Diann, I never thought of that. I wonder if a publisher would do it...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz