Girls Write Out
Thursday, November 04, 2010

I was born hot.

Not in the Pamela Sue Anderson sense of the word, mind you. Hot, as in, I have to dress in layers so I can peel at a moment's notice. Hot, as in, I could keep my windows open at night in the dead of winter. Hot, as in . . . well, you get the idea.

My husband was born cold. He gets the sniffles if the temperature drops below 80. He can wear a wool suit in July (100 degree weather). I've seen him do it--he reenacted a soldier from the war of 1812 and had to wear that suit. I needed a fan just to watch him.

I could save us big bucks on heating bills, but unfortunately, his doctor bills and cold medicine would cancel that out.

There seem to be a lot of people out there who live together (couples, moms/kids, etc.) who are very different when it comes to body temperatures. So how do we find common ground?

The solution at our house is fans. Small fans. Hubby bought me one or my work station, where I sit at night to watch TV, and by my bed. I also have one that travels with me. As long as there is cold wind blowing on my face, I'm good.

We also have a basket of blankets in our family room. He can dig one of those out and cocoon himself to his heart's content. We're both happy.

Are you living with an opposite? Are you cold and they're, well, not? How do you handle it?


Labels: , ,

Diann Hunt  
posted at 10:11 AM  
  Comments (9)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
9 Comments:
At 10:54 AM, Blogger Author and Editor Sandra D. Bricker said...

Fortunately, my housemate is a Collie named Sophie. She's very amiable. During my hot flashes, she doesn't bark one word when I crank up the A/C. And during cold snaps, she curls up under the blanket with me. In comparison to former housemates, she rocks the place. :-)

 
At 11:03 AM, Blogger Diann Hunt said...

ROTFLOL, Sandie!! Love it!!

 
At 12:11 PM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

Mel and I fluctuation, so we both dress in layers.

 
At 12:12 PM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

Okay, I meant we fluctuate from hot to cold, and my auto speller took over. I hate that thing.

 
At 12:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Like you, we use fans. My daughter and I slept in same bed for years before I met my DH and I never knew she would be one who gets hot while sleeping. Now she requests a fan every night, even in winter. Now I'm thinking back at how she always piled the covers on top of me. I guess that was the reason!

 
At 1:07 AM, Blogger Pam Sanderlin said...

Hahaha! You and Jim sound like Pete and me.

 
At 3:01 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Would you believe that DH and I had to get separate beds and then separate bedrooms to deal with the snoring, the different sleep cycles and sleep needs, and especially the heat?!? The good news is...and I can promise that it will be this way to some degree (sorry for the pun; couldn't resist) for every woman...the heat won't last!! Once you are finally over menopause you will cool way down. Now I am understanding why older women wear sweaters all the time and keep their heat turned up. They are COLD!!

Last winter was the first time in 30 years that I was cold during the winter. And this summer, even with illness and fever, I did not turn the A/C to the depths that I used to. One positive thing (among others) to this post-menopausal business is that my summer electric bill will drop dramatically. Unfortunately my winter gas/heating bill will go up just as dramatically. Sigh. Guess it never ends!

 
At 7:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My husband's favorite thing to do is to sit in a hot car when the temperature outside gets close to 100. Insanity. He oozes heat, his body feels like a furnace. He can scoot up to me in bed for about 20 seconds before I have to THROW the covers off!

I like it cold. Our solution? He gets extra blankets, poor guy. But basically? I win. It's cooler in the room so I can survive.

 
At 12:42 PM, Blogger Sandie said...

My problem is that my own body is never the same temperature. Sometimes I'm hot, sometimes I'm cold. Usually fluctuating within the same night. LOL Looking forward to leveling off one day. Katie, I hear you. I love to snuggle, but can only take that extra heat for a limited time. If I'm in a "cold" cycle, that's okay though. :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz