Girls Write Out
Friday, July 08, 2011
I know I've told some funnies on Mel before--the spider incidents were especially enjoyable. He loves to play around and joke and have fun, but he's been my hero more than once.

There was the time he covered my body with his when I was slipping down the side of a cliff. He could have fallen instead, but he didn't. He saved my life.

And then there are the times when we go hiking and he stops me from stepping on a copperhead or rattlesnake. On those hikes, he also takes a branch and walks in front of me, holding the branch out to catch spiderwebs--yes, still dealing with the spiders. But he's still the hero.

This past Sunday we had a different experience. Here in Missouri folks are allowed to have fireworks any time, all the time. The pops and whistles and bombs go off constantly the week before the Fourth of July. We were pulling into the garage when we arrived home from church when our neighbor came running out shouting "Fire! There's a fire in the trees across the street!" We looked, and sure enough the flames were leaping head high and crackling. We could feel the heat. Mel calmly walked into the house and came out with a fire extinguisher and walked over to the fire and sprayed it down to bare coals. Then he tried to use our neighbor's hose to finish it off, but she didn't have any water pressure. Finally the fire truck arrived and finished the fire off. Mel came in for dinner.

We had smoked ribs. They were hot. My husband can walk into the hot flames and put out a fire, but when he picked up a rib, he hissed and dropped it back to the plate. "It's hot!" he exclaimed. I just laughed at him. That's my hero.

How about your hero? What are his strengths and weaknesses? I love everyday heroes who are steady, sturdy, loving and steadfast. God bless our heroes.

Labels: , ,

Hannah Alexander  
posted at 12:00 AM  
  Comments (10)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
10 Comments:
At 6:06 AM, Blogger jel said...

he looks tired

 
At 7:30 AM, Blogger Sandie said...

I have always admired people who can think logically during a crisis. Whatta guy! Kudos to him for his amazing heroism in the face of dangers of all kinds - even spiders. That one was because he loves you more than he hates spiders, I'm thinking. :-)

 
At 8:41 AM, Blogger Tracy Ruckman said...

Yaaay for Mel!!!

My hubby is my hero too. We recently had some unwanted visitors in our home - BATS! Three different times, they came into our living areas - twice into my office (I actually stepped on one of them barefooted! Blech!)

I was terrified. But Tim calmly covered them with towels and took them outside. Totally my hero.

 
At 10:10 AM, Blogger Southern-fried Fiction said...

I loved that, Cheryl!! Too funny. My hero hubby is a funny one, more like a Reluctant Hero. ;) LOL

 
At 10:30 AM, Blogger jel said...

I got a good story about my hero,
but will have to ask him if i can tell the story, :)

 
At 11:36 AM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

LOL, Jel! I told him to take off his glasses and look sexy in that picture! Please do ask your hero if you can tell!

Ah, Sandie, that's perfect. He's a hero every shift in the ER, but I don't get to see that so often.

Okay, Tracy, that's freaky! It's great to have a hero to protect us!

Ane, I'm curious about the reluctant hero.

 
At 8:48 PM, Blogger jel said...

ok , I got his ok,
this is what we call the
(pig incident) we wasn't married let, it happen one night after a date. he was walking me to my front door,and it was very dark.
to get too my front door,you had to step up on some blocks, ( did I mention that my dad had some pigs)
and they were under them blocks!

WEll Dh was behind me, and it happen in a flash, we hear a squeal
the next thing I knew, Dh was in the house and I was on the out side! but we still got married any way! :)

he is my Hero, he kills the spiders and snakes for me, and takes care of me.

 
At 10:21 PM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

ROTFL, Jel!!! I bet those pigs scared him half to death, especially in the dark. That's hilarious!

 
At 2:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. That is totally awesome! I'd like a hero like that someday (not married yet) (and i think he looks very handsome). For now i can tell you of my hero. My dad. We've gone through more than our share of mishaps and he's been there for all of them. On one occasion, my parents and I along with most of my older sisters (all girl family; 5 girls, the oldest had to stay to work) went on our fist missionary trip to Mexico when i was nine. Anyway, we were an hour away from my grandparents house when all of a sudden we were stopped by the police (note: most Law enforcement is corrupt down there). I remember feeling confused and scared, watching as a man beat my dad's face with a gun. We all started praying out loud. The man asked my dad for his weapons and my dad handed over the bible. My mom was busily pulling out all the money we had on us from her side on the passenger door. The funny thing was that our doors weren't locked but somehow the other four guys that were there couldn't get them open. My dad prayed louder and harder and the man was momentarily confused. He stepped back and in doing so took the truck keys. My mom urged my dad to turn the truck on and leave but he said "how? they took the keys?". We prayed in ernest and my dad cried "In the name of Jesus, I tell you , turn on!" (exact words except in spanish) In that instant he turned the switch and the truck turned on. We screeched out of there and the Lord gave us a boost of speed to outrun them, but not before they tried to shoot us down. That red old minivan still had a bullet hole a few years ago when we sold it. And in all this my dad never lost his cool or his faith, in fact it increased and helped him through a lot of other ordeals (persecutions. hitmen were hired to kill my dad) that happened that same year. We've been in the ministry for 16 years, almost as soon as he converted, and his faith is still strong on the Rock of ages.

 
At 3:09 PM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

Rockin' Ruby, your whole family ROCKS!! Amazing story! No wonder your father is your hero! Find a man like him for your husband.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz