Girls Write Out
Friday, August 12, 2011
Aren't these birds beautiful? They look as if they're having fun, and just looking at them can make one smile.

Okay, I haven't smiled much the past month. You girls were so supportive when my mother had her surgery. Her dementia is still bad on some days, but other days she's pretty good. At least her doctor at the hospital thinks she's good enough to be released. They want her to go to a nursing home to recover.

My mother spent a couple of months in a nursing home when she had knee surgery, and it was not a pretty sight. I decided she needs to stay here with us until she recovers. I'm not sure how well she'll recover. All I know is that multiple nurses, techs and therapists, even doctors, have remarked about how much better Mom responds to treatment when I walk in the door. She might be refusing to eat, and I'll walk in and she'll pick up her fork. She may be refusing to exercise (she hates physical therapy) but then I'll walk in and she'll suddenly grab the walker to show me how much she can do. And if that's not enough, when Mel walks in he can actually make her laugh. He's the first one to say "I love you" and that heals something inside her.

So what does that have to do with flamingoes? The other day I was sitting in Mom's hospital room, which has a window that overlooks the roof of the rest of the hospital building. Not far from her window there was a poor ol' pigeon hunkering down under the sun, head drooped, wings drooped, tuckered out. Suddenly it began to rain hard. What a beautiful sight after the drought we've had! I looked back out at that bird and showed Mom. He was dancing! He wasn't skittering for cover from the rain, he was jittering his wings and dancing in the rain. I think that bird suddenly felt the love of God touch him with what he needed worst--water.

I think that's what keeps us going when we're sick or depressed or struggling under a great load--love. Just the way Mom perks up when someone who loves her walks in to see her, just the way we perk up when someone reminds us we're special to them.

Gotta tell you, girls, you're special to me. Please pray, and if you have any advice, send it on. I want to care for my mother well and get her back on her feet. You're a praying group, and so filled with goodness from God. Please keep praying for our beloved Diann. Pray hard. Please don't stop. We need the strength of your love right now. Bless you all.

Labels: , , , ,

Hannah Alexander  
posted at 1:03 AM  
  Comments (4)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
4 Comments:
At 8:53 AM, Blogger jel said...

in my thoughts and prayers,

as for taking care of your mom, a LOt of patience , love, enjoy the moments when you can laugh with each other, comfort, ensure her.

blessings

 
At 4:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Since I've started and reading this blog, my admiration for you has increased. I used to admire you only as an authoress, but now I see you as so much more than that! you are so beautiful and brave! May God keep granting you strength and courage. You, Diann, Your mom and the rest of you are in my prayers. I stayed up last night in a prayer vigil until 4 a.m., and you guys where there close to my heart. God bless you for everything you may not know you've done for me.

 
At 11:40 AM, Blogger Jackie S. said...

My prayers are going up for you, your Mom, Mel and Diann!

 
At 12:46 PM, Blogger whaydock said...

Cheryl,
Keep smiling and dancing. I love the illustration of the pigeon dancing in the rain. It is great that your mother will respond to you and Mel. Like I told you in one of your other posts, my mother responded best to my then, 3 month old daughter. We had mom come and stay with us too and that was the best thing we could have done. She stayed in a nursing home for a month after she broke her hip, but healed enough without surgery to be able to come home with us. It was definately a God thing, as we sold our house in 1 day, she sold her house in 1 day and we found a perfect house for us all to live in together within a month. Sadly, she was only with us another few months, but her last days were spent with us. Also, I have been reading more of your books! I really love them, the Hideaway Series. Still praying!
Blessings,
Wendy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz