Girls Write Out
Thursday, September 08, 2011

When I played paper dolls as a kid, I had no idea it was shaping my future.

I loved paper dolls. Even the colorform kind--was that what it was called? I can't remember. But I loved dressing up my little dolls for appropriate social events, casual outings, whatever.

Think about it. When you played paper dolls, it wasn't all about the clothes, was it? I mean, in my imagination, it was more than that. They dressed for an event because they had a life. I knew quite a lot about my little paper friends. Their families, their quirks, their struggles and their joys (well, depending on how long my mom let me play). So you see, I was learning about building character and fictional lives even back then.

Some days I miss my paper dolls. So I just grab my laptop and start creating. The only thing missing is the paper. :-)

What helps you most with creating characters? Magazine pictures? Conversations? People watching? Playing paper dolls?

Labels: , , ,

Diann Hunt  
posted at 10:00 AM  
  Comments (7)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
7 Comments:
At 2:42 PM, Blogger Denise Hunter said...

I didn't play with paper dolls, but I had a blast with real ones. Kids are wonderfully creative. It's a lot more work now, but still fun!

 
At 2:45 PM, Blogger Liz Flaherty said...

I loved them, too, Diann. The Lennon Sisters, BTW, were MY sisters in the paper doll world!

 
At 3:56 PM, Blogger Tracy Ruckman said...

I am such a visual person, I have to print out pictures of all my characters (in a variety of poses and moods - thanks StockExchange and istockphoto!) and their houses, pets, maps, even weapons. It helps me think. :-)

I seem to recall having paper dolls at one point in my childhood, but I didn't play with them very much. I'd rather be fishing.

 
At 4:23 PM, Blogger Timothy Fish said...

I played with cars when I was a kid. Every car had a driver and every driver had a story, though I'm not sure what story justified me sending them over ramps and all the other stuff I did to them.

 
At 9:26 PM, Blogger Pamela S. Meyers said...

Diann, I loved paper dolls when I was a kid. I had all different kinds, but my favorites were children. I'd sit for hours making up stories for them to act out. Little did I know that was the beginning of my storytelling that goes on today in my novels. Thanks for the memory!

 
At 4:19 PM, Blogger Pam Sanderlin said...

I loved paper dolls - and so did my sister! Our favorites were a set my mom had from the 1920s or 30s. Their outfits were very glamorous. Our stories (and back stories) were very elaborate.

I haven't thought about paper dolls for a long time. Thanks for the memory! :]

 
At 6:46 PM, Blogger Nicole Christian said...

I LOVED paper dolls. As a kid, I bought some with my pocket money that were stars of the Golden Age of Hollywood. Actresses like Joan Crawford with all their beautiful gowns.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz