Girls Write Out
Monday, August 15, 2011
Thank you all SO much for your prayers for Di. It's been a rough week for her and those of us who love her so much, but the good news is that she's now in Zion at the Cancer Treatment Center. She sees a doctor tomorrow about her MALT lymphoma in her stomach, then her primary ovarian cancer doctor later in the week, unless that gets moved up. While we would have liked for the thing in her stomach to be nothing, the next best thing is this MALT. If it's caused by the h-pylori bacteria, it will be cured with antibiotic! And there is much good news on the horizon with ovarian cancer treatment as well. God isn't through with Di yet, and we will get on the other side of this beast yet!

Di's constant faith and love for God is such an inspiration to me personally. Denise and I went to see her on Thursday. We laughed so much I know the nurses were popping in just to see what was going on. Unfortunately there was no morphine button for me to push, but Denise was on her guard so she could stop me from touching anything I wasn't supposed to. LOL I kept my hands folded in my lap, really! :)

We were sitting there talking and all of a sudden, Di says, "No stinkin' way!" I think she yelled loud enough to blow out the door. There stood her son Aaron and his family. During the course of the visit, the family was talking about why this was all happening. son-in-law Kyle said, "I know why. God said, Have you considered my servant Diann?" When I heard about that, I knew it was exactly right. We may not understand why God allows this pain into our Di's life, but God knows. And with her faith and spirit, she is advancing the kingdom of God. She is an example to all of us who watch her steadfast heart and love. Of course my husband is such a joker that he said Kyle was trying to score brownie points but still. :) He was totally right!

I felt so much better after seeing her. I called our friend and editor Ami McConnell to tell her what was going on so she could keep up the prayers. She said, "You sound better today." And the weird thing was that I DID feel better. I got to talk to the doctor, find out what exactly was going on and what was being done. I felt like I was DOING something, even though I wasn't. LOL It's all in the perception.

So what helps you when you're going through a trial like this? Feeling like you're doing something? Praying? Taking in soup? When someone you love is in the middle of the battle, what kind of help fills your well and empowers you?

Labels: , ,

Colleen Coble  
posted at 9:51 PM  
  Comments (15)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
15 Comments:
At 10:17 PM, Blogger Kristin said...

Thank you for the update on Diann, and what a wise thing for her son to say. So glad you girls got together. Laughter is great medicine. Praying for Di with you! Xoxox, Kristin

 
At 10:24 PM, Blogger Lynne said...

So glad to hear Diann is getting the help she needs from those who are gifted with the knowledge to help her. As for me, and I'm sure countless others, I will continue my prayers for her. I know God has a plan for her and I don't think He is done with her yet. Please keep us posted.

 
At 10:29 PM, Blogger Peggy Blann Phifer said...

So glad for this update! Thank you, Colleen. I posted a Tweet earlier today for an update, but I guess it didn't "take." :) This is such hopeful news.

 
At 11:20 PM, Blogger Crystal Laine said...

Thanks for the update on Diann. I've been praying and thinking of her daily. I have an aunt who had ovarian and another aunt who is battling it second time around now. So, I am familiar with the territory.

When a loved one is battling anything and I am helpless to do anything, the thing that empowers me is probably the same thing that empowers you, Colleen. I have to have information.

I can have a cool exterior if I have information. I want to know everything I can. No holding back. And then it is easy for me to release it to God--or to get down and ask God for help. But I know, too, sometimes He expects me to just let Him be God.

Anyway, praying for Diann's family and friends, too. Hugs all around!

 
At 12:51 AM, Blogger Niki Turner said...

What a tremendous blessing you are! Friends like you are hard to come by.
Believing with you for Diann's healing.

 
At 1:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so happy Diann is getting better! All things are possible through God who strengthens her. Colleen thank you so much for the update. My friends and I have been praying for her. May God bless you all!

 
At 4:26 AM, Blogger jel said...

hang in there !!!!!


sending a flybyhugging :)

 
At 7:26 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

I'm so glad Diann has friends like you all. Everyday i hope and pray for girlfriends like you. Friends are such a blessing.

 
At 9:31 AM, Blogger Janet Lee Barton said...

Thank you for the update on Diann, Colleen. She's an inspiration to us all and in my thoughts and prayers. So glad you are able to be there for her. Janet

 
At 9:33 AM, Blogger Southern-fried Fiction said...

I cried through this. Tears of frustration for Di and tears of joy that the stomach think is that MALT and can be cured with antibiotics!!!

Di has touched my life with her faith so many times. Aaron is so right. And like Job, Di will be victorious!! Her faith is contagious!

And Colleen, I wish everyone in the world a friend like you. You've been there for her and Jim each step if the way. You've researched the best treatments for her, badgered her doctors, and mothered her.

How blessed she is to have you. Now I have to stop; people are staring at me and someone just handed me a hankie.

Just know the Accidental Warriors are all over this!

 
At 11:33 AM, Blogger Jaime Wright said...

Mmmm, Diann has been so much on my heart. Thanks for the update. Give her a big Jaime-hug for me!!! <3

What helps me through? Oh my goodness. Friendship! Is huge! Having someone to call in "that moment" when crisis hits and for me - having them take charge. When I'm in crisis I NEED TO BE TOLD WHAT DO! And hugs and loves - even long distance ones via emails and txts ... outside of prayers of course. I need tangible love and encouragement.

 
At 12:49 PM, Blogger Krista Phillips said...

This is such a GREAT question!!!!! I guess a lot depends on "who" said person is. With my daughter, it was digging in and immersing myself with the problem. I know, I know, GOD is in control, but it made me feel better to UNDERSTAND what was going on (NOT a simple thing with Miss Annabelle!) and to question the doctors and make sure everyone was thinking about everything. And little things, like decorating her room, or dressing her up in the hospital (she was the PCICU Diva for the 10 months she was there! Everyone did a double-take when they came by her room!) It just was important to me to make it feel like "home" for her.

But for other people, it's simple things like making sure they are have stuff to eat (maybe fun stuff they wouldn't be able to have at the hospital) or just spending time with them, because hospital time can be booorrrinnnngggg!!!

Funny, a heart-momma friend and I thought it would be fun to write a "little" pamphlet on ways to help families when their loved ones are in the hospital. SO many people wrung their hands and said, "we want to help we just don't know what to do" and in the midst of it, it is SO SO SO hard to "ask" for help and to tell them what you need. It just IS.

Okay, I'll shush now. It's just a topic I'm highly passionate about:-) Praying for Di, and SO SO SO thankful they found the cause and it is easily treatable!!! THank you Jesus!!!!

 
At 2:21 PM, Blogger Liz Flaherty said...

Thank you for the update. Still praying. And in answer to the question, I feel better when I think I'm doing something. I remember walking into my in-laws' house when Dad was dying and doing the dishes for that reason.

 
At 11:19 AM, Blogger Sandie said...

Thank you for all the updates. I am glad she is where she needs to be, but sad that she has to be anywhere but at home with her loved ones. She is such a woman of faith and this is a strong witness to others as well as, I am sure, a comfort to her and those around her. Diann and her family remain in my prayers.

 
At 9:09 AM, Blogger Z said...

Hi there. I just stumbled across your blog while procrastinating on our normal Sunday "getting ready for church" routine. I want to say how sorry I am that cancer has touched your lives recently and that my prayers are with you. God bless all of you ladies!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz