Girls Write Out
Wednesday, October 05, 2011
This is writing week, and as such I'm supposed to talk about writing. But I'm going to warn you. I have a massive migraine today. Starbucks is closed. My kids are off of school for a nearby shooting, and we're on lockdown in the house while they search for the suspect. So my brain is not exactly writing-related.

But that's my point. There is NEVER a good time to write. I hear all the time about how people are going to someday write a book. That's not how it happens. You just write. There will never be a good time to write a book. Ever. It's never convenient to sit down in front of a computer and start typing your story. Something will always come up. Other people's priorities will always try to take over. (Especially if you're a parent!)

I took the week off to finish my book so that I could work "free and clear" without the voices in my head. But naturally, the Enemy of writing comes against me. It may be Supernatural. It may just be annoying, but the point is, you have to sit down and do it. No one can write the book for you. No one gets to be called an "author" by saying someday they'll write a book. Sit down and do it.

If I can do it, ANYONE can do it. And I mean that. I'm a single mother during the week. I have four kids, two with special issues...there are four soccer teams between them, three schools, lots of homework, dance class, DMV visits and doctor/dentist/orthodontist trips. Get busy. You could have written three hundred words by now!
Kristin  
posted at 1:24 PM  
  Comments (4)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
4 Comments:
At 4:16 PM, Blogger Timothy Fish said...

There may never be a good time to write a book, but I've found there to be some impossible times.

 
At 4:56 PM, Blogger jel said...

Kristin,
sorry about your maigraine,
I get them too. when i get them

listen too some running water.
helps me.

hope they find the suspect.

take care

 
At 12:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i get a lot of them too only naps seem to help. i definitely agree that there is never a good time. i write short stories for friends because they really enjoy them (they read them at work or on their phone etc.). they say that the short stories sometimes bring sanity back into their life (the power of words huh?), but lately ive been trying to finish one and i just cant seem to find the right time. ive been at it for about 4 months and i still cant get further than the prologue!!!!! but i am determined to sit down right now and write until my fingers feel numb! (ok maybe not that bad but i do have to get some writing done) thanx for the post. i really needed it :)

 
At 12:52 PM, Blogger Kristin said...

Ruby, you have perfectionist disorder. Very common among writers. Go past that point even if it's not done. It's the only way to move on!

Thanks for the migraine tips. What a terrible day for one. The shooter finally got caught this morning, but it was a scary night. Two were at school before we knew, so it took me two hours to pick them up with their protocol. I'm back to writing today but it is getting to be impossible, Timothy, so I think God is saying enough for now.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz