Girls Write Out
Friday, December 30, 2011
Look more closely. This little cutie isn't a bear. At least, I don't think it is. I think this is a sloth, and that's what I've been this month.

Typically, I rush around buying presents, buying the bags to shove them into--I haven't wrapped packages in twenty years--and even sent cards to those who sent cards to me. Due to social expectations, I made dinner, set the table, had Mel put up the tree, starting late so our company could help him finish it. So he's a sloth, too. Sue him.

Then one year we had deep snow on Christmas day. Christmas, of course, wasn't called off. In fact, the silence and peace of that day, when everyone stayed home to ponder Christ's birth in a new way, was a huge blessing to me. No one to complain because I didn't get all the meat off the turkey bone, didn't make the dressing moist enough, forgot to take the giblets out of the turkey before I placed it all, totally frozen, into the oven to bake. No one snooping through drawers in the kitchen and finding private-very private-notes I sent with Mel's lunches. Ahhh...it was pure peace.

I realize it may have been considered an insult for the innkeeper to send Joseph and Mary out to the barn, but I can imagine having the warm body of my own donkey and no noise besides a sheep bleating every so often must have been more relaxing than an inn full of people complaining about their taxes. But who am I to say? I wasn't there. I do believe it started a precedent, though, because Jesus often retreated to the wilderness when the crowds pressed too closely, wise Savior that He was. I've followed His example as often as I could. It's my favorite.

The Mexicans have a special day, January 6, when they believe the wise men visited Jesus with gifts. Since my stepson's wife, a beautiful and intelligent Mexican woman, is due to have her baby any time, they are hoping the little boy will be born on January 6 to receive a special blessing. I do know seeing that little darling--as well as my stepson, Jason, his wife Kenia, and Jason's mother, Linda--will be a special blessing for me this year.

Until I can get out there, however, I will be hiding out here at home, not attending parties or dinners or exchanging gifts, just spending special time with Mel and my mother and writing and being thankful for the special peace God has given us this Christmas.

If you had your druthers, what would your perfect Christmas be next year--what is peace to you?

Labels: , , ,

Hannah Alexander  
posted at 12:29 AM  
  Comments (13)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
13 Comments:
At 8:50 AM, Blogger jel said...

so that's you before coffee?
poor poor Mel,

glad to hear ya are still kicking :)

a perfect Christmas, a warm fire, and a good book! :)

 
At 10:35 AM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

Good one, jel! If I had to get up as early as you do every morning, that would be me ALL the time.
We're still kicking, and even better, Mom and I had the same kind of Christmas. She slept out here in the sunroom, I read a good book. Mel worked ;-(
But Mom did walk a few feet twice recently, so we're looking forward to sliding that wheelchair away, at least for awhile.

 
At 3:10 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I would love to have the same type of Christmas we had this year. It started with Midnight Mass...so beautiful! We got home a few minutes before 2 AM, made some coffee, and opened presents. Bed was at 3 AM so we slept until noon! A light lunch was followed by a fire in the fireplace, Christmas music, DH playing computer games and me knitting. So quiet, so peaceful. The best Christmas EVER, knowing that I would see my family again in heaven some day.

 
At 5:38 AM, Blogger Sandie said...

Christmas dinner I threw some canned corn in the microwave and a ham in the oven. That was the extent of my contribution. Hubby and daughter did the rest of the cooking simply because they are better at it than I am. They also did quite a lot of the eating. LOL We had our big meal Christmas Eve with the turkey etc. Then Christmas morning a big family breakfast with beignets, bacon, sausage and whatever else anyone cared to have. I did the bacon in the microwave. I burnt the first batch. LOL However, I did make some great biscuits. That is the one thing I can do.

 
At 8:09 AM, Blogger Tracy Ruckman said...

A perfect Christmas - all my kids snowed in with us, with nowhere to go from two days before Christmas until New Year's Day. With plenty of food, games, TV, and a toasty fire. Everyone healthy, happy, content to just be.

You did say perfect, rather than POSSIBLE or LIKELY, right? This girl can still dream.

(And for the record - I'm not such a big fan of snow - but at Christmas, it just makes everyone slow down a little. And it's the perfect excuse for getting stranded together.)

 
At 3:05 PM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

Ruthie, what a beautiful Christmas. When I was in high school, all my friends were Catholic, who were the only ones who had midnight mass, so I went to midnight mass with them and their families. Being Baptist, I wasn't acquainted with the bell rope hanging where we just happened to be seated. I pulled the rope out to ask my friend what it was, and her whole family nearly tripped on their kneeling benches to stop me from pulling the bell. I didn't pull it, but they sure watched me closely after that.

 
At 3:11 PM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

Sandie, one year I made Peking Duck for Christmas dinner...I think it was Christmas. Anyway, I know our guests thought it was weird, but I'm just not one for tradition, and I love trying new things. I like your way of cooking now.

 
At 3:12 PM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

Oh, by the way, Sandie, I always burn my bacon. One forgets, you know, that something is on the stove.

 
At 3:42 PM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

Yes, Tracy, I did say perfect. We don't get snowed in often, but we do get iced in. Since I have no children, but I do remember being iced in for two weeks out in the country around Christmastime, I can definitely say I prefer snow.

 
At 9:27 PM, Blogger jel said...

Cheryl when ya cooked the duck , did ya leave the head on? :)

 
At 1:12 AM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

No, was I supposed to leave the head on? The thing you have to do is leave the plucked duck in front of a fan for 24 hours to dry the skin so it'll be nice and crunchy when you slice it off and wrap it, all with a little of the crunchy skin, into some kind of crepe. It was good, but far too much work for me. Give me a bean, corn, pea salad with nice, warm dressing in it and I'm happy. Olives are nice, and so are pickles and some hot stuff. I could live on that.

 
At 1:22 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Cheryl, that salad sounds so yummy! I adore veggies of all kinds. BTW, peking duck is so good. Next time you make it, invite me...I won't complain of the weirdness. I'll just go "mmmm, mmmm" as I chomp away! LOL

 
At 1:45 AM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

I'm addicted to this salad, Ruthie! It's so delicious, and all the begins have tons of fiber, vitamins, and add sme cheese in them and you're in great shape. Play with it and see what you like best. I prefer frozen corn and peas and lima beans, then just thaw them with the canned beans of my choice. Then I add either ginger sesame dressing or veganaise, which is made with grape seed oil and no eggs. Yum! Of course, I get carried away and eat hot stuff like horseradish. I've even convinced Mel it's good. He's also enjoying my pizza sauce--on gluten free pizza crust--with Rotel Tomatoes. Mild. For now. :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz