Girls Write Out
Thursday, January 05, 2012
I know we've talked about where we get story ideas on here before but yesterday something was so real to me I just have to share.

I've been reading a book on what's going on in Israel right now. I know the conflict is over land, but I just didn't get what it was all about until I started reading this book.

My heart aches for civilians (women and children!) living in a place of constant turmoil and fear.

Okay, so all this has been on my mind lately. I took my grandson yesterday to school with me to pick up my granddaughters. While we were waiting in line to pick them up, we noticed two men on the roof of the school, sweeping. They were wrapped in woolen scarves, gloves, hat and thick coats. My grandson said, "Are they soldiers, Nanny?"

I thought that interesting. From a distance, they did look like soldiers. The broom handles resembled rifles. For a fleeting moment, it was scary. It caused me to whisper a prayer for those in war-torn countries. It also sent ideas swimming around in my head. But then I don't write those kinds of stories. No soldiers in romantic comedy (unless he's a hero). :-)

Well, I just had to share my soldier story, it was so real. Have you ever had anything like that, something you saw, read, or whatever, spark your imagination?
Diann Hunt  
posted at 8:45 AM  
  Comments (8)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
8 Comments:
At 11:15 AM, Blogger Rachel Overton said...

Conspiracy theory alert!! Why would they be sweeping the roof of a school? Who sweeps rooftops? Hmmmm.....

 
At 11:40 AM, Blogger Diann Hunt said...

LOL, Rachel!! Now that I think about it, what WERE they doing on that rooftop??????

 
At 12:23 PM, Blogger Timothy Fish said...

Rachel, I've spent quite a bit of time on rooftops and I can think of plenty of reasons to sweep one. Of course, there are other things they might have been doing with tools that have handles. If they were patching the roof, they most likely would have used a broom to clear away the dirt before they began.

 
At 2:44 PM, Blogger jel said...

ya know when I read
Corrie TenBooms, story , it Got my imagination going , and got scared that the soldiers would bust into our house! it was a powerful book.


as for the men on the roof, maybe they hear that Diann was going to be there and wanted her to sign some of her books, for their wife's :)

 
At 6:26 PM, Blogger Tonya said...

I LOVE the cover!

 
At 10:42 PM, Blogger Rachel Overton said...

Timothy, just trying to boost some author-imagination. I mean, really. If we were watching NCIS or something similar, you'd KNOW they weren't patching that roof. LOL

My dad got me up on a roof one time to help patch it. Oh my. I was fine til it was time to get back on the ladder to go down. I'll leave that job to someone else for the rest of all time. :-)

 
At 9:07 AM, Blogger Diann Hunt said...

Yes, I'm sure they were working on the roof, Timothy. Just teasing about it. It was an interesting moment, though, when my grandson asked me that question.

LOL, Jel!! I don't think that was it!

Thanks, Tonya! I like that cover, too!

I'm with you, Rachel, give me the work on the ground. :-)

Thanks for everyone's comments!

 
At 11:20 AM, Blogger Lynette Sowell said...

Oh, it happens all the time to me. I have to be very careful--I can't write about *every* idea that pops in to my head.

As best I know, all Israeli young people (guys 'n girls) must serve a stint in the military. I don't know if that's changed or not. I imagine their women have a unique perspective, having been through the military training...oops, here comes another character!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz