Girls Write Out
Thursday, February 02, 2012
I want to talk about the spiritual journey of our characters in our stories. I'm not an expert on this, but I want to share with you how I come up with mine.

First of all, let me say that to give your story a faith thread takes more than an occasional Scripture or prayer thrown in. I think of how God is in my life--constant. I speak to Him throughout the day, read His Word for direction, all that.

Some authors may come up with the spiritual theme first. I like for it to arise out of my plot line. Once I see what my characters are dealing with, I can figure out the theme. Many times, my characters go through lessons that I'm learning. In "Hot Flashes & Cold Cream," my character was dealing with hormonal issues (menopause). So aside from the physical issues (hot flashes, weight gain, etc.), she was dealing with attitudes from the devil. LOL! I knew exactly what my character was going through, because I was going through them!

Maggie's (the main character) spiritual journey was to trust God through the difficulties of life. Take them to the Lord. Regardless of how you "feel," He will see you through.

I don't want my characters to just be Sunday-go-to-meeting Christians, but rather, I want them to walk with God daily. Their warts will show and His grace will shine. It's a wonderful journey.

That's just one way. Maybe you have a different way of figuring out the spiritual theme of the story. What's your way?


Labels: , , ,

Diann Hunt  
posted at 10:18 AM  
  Comments (4)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
4 Comments:
At 11:32 AM, Blogger Timothy Fish said...

With some of my novels, I’ve done like you said and wrote the book before I figured out what the theme was. But For the Love of a Devil is probably the best novel I’ve ever written, so I can’t dismiss the fact that I found the theme before I did anything else. It is my belief that if an author is going to retell a Bible story, his book had better have the same message as the original story. I’ll mess with anything else, but the theme and the major elements of the plot are set in stone.

 
At 9:26 AM, Blogger Southern-fried Fiction said...

That's how I work, too, Di. I have NO idea about the spiritual thread prior to the story. Well, maybe that's not quite right. I have an idea but nothing concrete. That develops in the writing. :) Funny, others tend to see it before I do.

 
At 9:41 AM, Blogger Colleen Coble said...

I don't always know the spiritual journey when I get started. I like that to develop as I see the characters. but then I'm seat of the pantser. :)

 
At 9:07 PM, Blogger Leslie Miner said...

I'm new to writing. I just finished writing my first novel, so I only have it to comment on. I did not start out with the intention of sharing my spiritual views, but the main character changed on me. I was rather surprised.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz