Girls Write Out
Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Kara and I have been on a Downton Abbey kick all week. We watched all the first season episodes and have one final episode to watch tonight to be caught up. Being so enthralled in these characters' lives was in sharp contrast to another movie we watched Sunday afternoon. We watched The House of Sand and Fog. There was not one likable character in the whole movie. I wouldn't have watched it for more than fifteen minutes but my daughter left it on so I watched it with her. I complained all the way through the movie about how weak and stupid Kathy, the main character, was.

But in Downton Abbey, even when the characters do things that I think are wrong or stupid, I'm still rooting for them because they are displaying some kind of action and strength. I want to throttle Mary for tossing over Matthew and being so petty with Edith. And Edith needs a throttling as well for what she's done. But in spite of their shortcomings, they are strong. They take action. They are admirable for that reason and I'm invested in their lives now. They are movers and shakers. Unlike Kathy in The House of Sand and Fog. She is weak and whiny and lets the wind carry her to the next mistake.

So that's my opinion of a likable character. He/she has to display some kind of strength. I didn't even feel sorry for Kathy. I wanted to kick her to the curb. LOL How about you? What makes you like a character?

And P.S. Blue Moon Promise is shipping to stores this week. I hope you LIKE Lucy!

Labels: , ,

Colleen Coble  
posted at 2:16 PM  
  Comments (11)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
11 Comments:
At 2:47 PM, Blogger Kristin said...

Even if I don't like them, I have to feel for them, and if I want them to be hurt, that isn't a good sign. LOL For me, a good example is Owen WIlson in "Midnight in Paris" -- gosh, he is so annoying, I just want him to shut up.

In contrast, I could even feel for a character like Hilly Holbrooke (the villain in The Help) because she was so ignorant in the way she was brought up and couldn't let go of the prejudices so ingrained. I felt sorry that her reign of terror was coming to an end, but then satisfied she didn't get it because I didn't want her to have a happy ending. LOL

 
At 2:47 PM, Blogger Kristin said...

Edith was so evil in the first series, I can't forgive her.

 
At 2:53 PM, Blogger Colleen Coble said...

But look what Mary did to her! As soon as she knew Edith was interested in the older widower, she flirted with him and dragged his interest away. They both did things they should be ashamed of. Though what Edith did was terrible, I feel for her because she was so ignored and belittled.

I agree with you on Hilly. :)

 
At 2:58 PM, Blogger jel said...

Girls, ya know it's just a show?

and they can help the way they are cause they were wrote to bee that way! :)


oh and Colleen, hope ya have a super cool Bday!

 
At 4:59 PM, Blogger Timothy Fish said...

My thought is that for a character to be likeable there must be a spark of goodness in him. It doesn’t matter if he is strong in any other way, but he must have something that tells me that he has an underlying strength of character.

 
At 5:32 PM, Blogger Kristin said...

Jel, don't spoil my fun! Colleen and I love to argue. You readers aren't used to seeing that, but it's our nature. I think we take the opposite side of things for enjoyment. Neither one of us will ever change the other's minds. LOL

 
At 5:40 PM, Blogger Colleen Coble said...

Jel, all writers know characters are real. They take off in ways we never expect! LOL

 
At 6:13 PM, Blogger Timothy Fish said...

It's funny, but there's a period in there were a character is quite fluid. I can shape him and mold him and stretch him all different ways until he fits the story, but then he starts to solidify and I couldn't change him if I wanted to.

 
At 11:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i can't wait for your book colleen! but i have a confession to make... i don't watch t.v. i know a lot of ppl think i'm crazy (most times i know it too lol), but t.v. annoys me. i will sit down to watch a movie, but not t.v with all those commercials and junk... but it sounds interesting, the downtown abbey thing, i mean. :)

 
At 1:41 PM, Blogger Jackie S. said...

I'm with you, R.Ruby......would rather read than watch TV. I tried DA on Sunday, but thought "wow, I could read a lot in that 2 hours"..so I did. You ladies have too many good books out there for me to read...but it is fun hearing Kristin/Colleen yacking!! lol

 
At 1:48 PM, Blogger Kristin said...

Denise and Diann are probably tired of us yakking. We did well together (Colleen and me) on the radio interviews this morning. It was fun to play off each other. And when someone talks, you remember something else you want to say. Much better than going it alone. Plus, I can comment on her gluten-free recipes. LOL Which are good, but I will never admit it. And the cauliflower crust pizza....hmmm.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz