Girls Write Out
Wednesday, April 25, 2012
It's very hard for me to care about what's for dinner. My head is creating all day and then it gets tired and doesn't want to cook dinner. When I'm not writing, dinner is just another have-to, but when I am, I often forget about it until the last minute. Food is not that important to me. I know that's blasphemy in a lot of people's eyes, but I just don't care what I eat usually. My espresso? That I'm particular about, but taking the time to think about a meal annoys me. The kids are going to want pizza regardless of how nice of a meal you cook them.
I've taken to going to the grocery store twice a week for healthy snacks and fruit (which they eat a lot of) and going every two days to the grocery store for dinners. That way I'm not overwhelmed. If I have to think out seven dinners, I'm lost and so over it by the time I'm done shopping. Lately, I've taken to getting recipes off the Today Show in the morning. They're are some pretty simple, but tasty recipes on the show. No one brings their "A" game like on the cooking show. It's made for moms who are busy and aren't going to take three hours to flambe something. The only people I don't like on these shows is when they have the overly healthy (read: OCD/health nuts) chefs. Those people never look healthy. Or happy for that matter. It's like their skin has stretched too tightly around their body. Food should be REAL. My grandfather ate real butter, bacon, drank buttermilk (blech!) and he's still here with us at almost 97. How many obsessive health nuts can say that? Do you like to cook? Grocery shop?
Kristin  
posted at 3:13 PM  
  Comments (14)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
14 Comments:
At 9:22 PM, Blogger Kristina said...

I love to cook! It relaxes me. I will start to chop stuff for the next day at 9 pm. I'm a single mom working full-time with a 16 yr old playing lacrosse. That makes it very hard to plan so I must have go to's in my back pocket or I will be eating take out every night. Not good! I agree with eating real food. Loved you book A Billion Reasons Why.
Kristina

 
At 9:25 PM, Blogger Colleen Coble said...

Your grandpa was smart! Fats are good for us. My diet is about 65% fat. Heavy whipping cream in my coffee, avocados, full fat yogurt, real butter, coconut oil. All great stuff for you!

I'm with you. cooking is not my favorite thing, mostly the figuring out WHAT to cook. Tell what to fix and have the ingredients there, and I'm all over it. It's the figuring it out. I'm done with thinking by the time dinner rolls around.

 
At 9:25 PM, Blogger jel said...

at times I like to cook , but I don't like to shop.


I have often wonder how my grandmaws cooked, on a wood cookstove, 3 meals a day and in the summer time heat?

 
At 9:30 PM, Blogger Mary Marie Allen said...

My sentiments about health nuts exactly, Kristin!

Although, my skin could be stretched a little tighter....

I was always a big meal planner according to whatever my grocery shopping schedule was, because if I didn't I'd forget to cook until the last minute. I do go through phases where I view cooking more creatively than at other times.
And I really like Colleen's diet plan.

 
At 12:10 PM, Blogger Kristin said...

Kristina, your schedule wears me out! But it must be easier enjoying the cooking. My grandmother tried for years to get me to enjoy that and sewing. It didn't take.

Colleen, you should look at the Today website, they have a lot of good recipes, and most chefs cook with real fat.

Jel, I'm with you. My great grandmother cooked biscuits on the wagon train.

 
At 12:11 PM, Blogger Kristin said...

Jel, I think that tight skin look is awful. I think a little sagging is better. That's what I tell myself anyway. LOL I wish I could use a planner, but even if I did buy everything at once, then I wouldn't feel like it the night it was scheduled!

 
At 12:13 PM, Blogger Colleen Coble said...

Hey, Mary, you're talking about ME. I'm a health nut. LOL But I'm not offended. :)

I'll check out the Today's website, K. I don't use grains though. Once in a while I'll have rice but it's very rare.

 
At 12:20 PM, Blogger Kristin said...

No, health nuts look sickly. That kind of health nut. I mean, they take it to such an extreme, they can't eat out and everything revolves around their weird eating. I have known too many of those people who look like a muscle drawing in an anatomy book. Blech.

 
At 3:42 PM, Blogger jel said...

Kristin, did i miss somthing?
when did we start talking about sagging parts? I don't plan things myself.

 
At 3:56 PM, Blogger Kristin said...

We were talking about how too-healthy people's skin fits too tight. So they look like a muscle drawing in an anatomy book.

 
At 4:24 PM, Blogger jel said...

Kristin, I was just razzing ya, :)

about ya comment, I think ya wrote my name , but think ya ment to write Mary's name!

 
At 4:29 PM, Blogger Kristin said...

No, Jel. It was YOU I meant. (Am I making you paranoid yet? LOL)

 
At 4:32 PM, Blogger jel said...

if ya only knew!!!!!!!!

 
At 5:26 PM, Blogger Jess said...

I enjoy cooking but I'm not really creative. I do a monthly menu plan and then do a once a week grocery shop. It's good for me as I don't have to think about what's for dinner each night!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz