Girls Write Out
Wednesday, May 23, 2012
This week, we received a very kind letter on Smitten and how it reminded one reader to invest more in her friend relationships.  I think that's a lesson everyone needs here and again.  Friendships take work at first.  When Colleen and I met, our connection online was instant, but we edited back and forth for each other for years.  We invested in each other.  We made a commitment that YOUR publishing is as important as MY publishing.

As I got more kids, I became less reliable.   (We met when I had two -- now I have four and my youngest is 11.)  Colleen got busier publishing a bajillion books a year.  LOL  But the friendship stands because of its solid foundation in God.  I know her heart.  She knows mine.  Even though we are totally different animals. I used to say Colleen is a Golden Retriever and I am a Siamese Cat (and I don't even LIKE cats, so that tells you something!)

The investment and foundation of friendship is so important.  A relationship is a living, breathing thing. It takes time, commitment and love.

Friends always seem to have something in them that you don't possess and you honor this part of them.  For me, in Colleen it's her endurance and her ability to go on when I would have long since given up.  


 In Denise, it's her organization and the way her mind works.  It's so linear and beautiful and I wish for one day I could run my life like she runs hers.  She'd be a Beagle.

With Diann, it's her strength of character.  There are so many days I want to wimp out and give up on success.  Then, I look to Diann who is always happy even when she's complaining about chemo, she's funny.  If she were an animal, she'd be a Labradoodle.

In Cheryl, it's her compassion.  She has so much compassion on those who are in dire straights.  She has walked some tough roads and because of it, she can empathize and help people through really dark times.  She'd be a St. Bernard in a rescue.

So what do your friends possess in spades that you'd like more of in yourself?  What have you dont to invest in your relationships lately?


Kristin  
posted at 6:52 PM  
  Comments (4)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
4 Comments:
At 8:34 PM, Blogger Mary-Louise said...

One of the things I treasure most in friendships is the gift of laughter. It really is a gift: there are people I hang out with who make my laugh, and there are people I hang out with (more reluctantly) who make me uptight. Interestingly, the people who make me laugh are the ones I seek out. It's a pleasure to be with them. The people who make others uptight are the ones who refuse to 'give' in the relationship, and only seek to 'take'. I would like to be a better giver in relationships. It is so satisfying when people come to me, only to realize that they are somewhere safe.

What have I done recently for my relationships? Well, there have been no amputations in this house today and no one is walking on eggshells. =D

 
At 9:45 AM, Blogger Mary Marie Allen said...

I have a friend who is comfortable approaching anyone with the gospel.

Give me an opening and I glow like a fire, but I'm not one to speak boldly. I've never seen myself as an evangelist. I always see my self as an encourager to the believer. I want to help believers be stronger, more dedicated.

Still, it would be good to be bold when necessary.

 
At 11:19 AM, Blogger Colleen Coble said...

Love this post, Kris!

 
At 4:09 PM, Blogger Kristin said...

Mary-Louise, that is SO true. There is nothing better than people you can fully laugh with and not hold back!

Walking on eggshells is the worst. I am SOO happy you're not doing that today.

Mary, maybe God didn't give you that gene. Maybe you're the quiet one who works behind the scenes. : )

Thanks for the encouragement C. Love ya girl!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz