Girls Write Out
Thursday, May 03, 2012
You've heard this a million times, if you want to be a writer, it has to be your passion. It's so true. Your passion, the magnetic pull that draws you to words on paper, will get you through the hard times. After you've sweated hours over a manuscript, you spend the next two weeks telling yourself it's trash. What were you thinking? You're not a writer! Just when you're on the verge of professional therapy, your critique partner tells you how much she loved your story. Convinced once again you can write, you zip the manuscript in the mail and wait. And wait. And wait. You begin to think the U.S. mail system is on the blitz! Maybe your manuscript was lost! Maybe it went to the wrong person. Maybe it was intercepted by a federal agent and now it's tied up in a drug/murder case. It's passion that will get you through those days of waiting, hallucinating, and eating chocolate until you think you'll explode. Passion. I'm not an early morning person. But when I was working full time, I had to get up from 4-6am to write. That's passion (or stupidity, whichever you prefer). One other thing I did was whenever I had to wait on something, I made lists of colorful adjectives and verbs. Sound like fun or does it make you want you want to hurt me? Passion. Do you have it? If not for writing, what has your passion?
Diann Hunt  
posted at 8:31 AM  
  Comments (8)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
8 Comments:
At 8:49 AM, Blogger Denise Hunter said...

I used to have a list of favorite adj and verbs too, Di. I lost it, unfortunately. There are some good words out there. :) I'm always amazed that we all have the same 26 letters to work with, but the number of possible stories is limitless.

 
At 10:18 AM, Blogger Colleen Coble said...

I love the colorful words comment, Di. That's a good way to figure out a title too. Jotting down words that relate to your story in some way and then playing with them. Denise is really good at titles!

 
At 10:32 AM, Blogger Timothy Fish said...

At this rate, I’ll never be a writer. Every time I turn around there’s someone saying you have to do a certain thing or be a certain way if you’re going to be a writer. I don’t see myself as passionate about writing. I see myself as having a preference for it, and I’m not terrible at it, but I’m not passionate about writing. To me, if there is anything we should be passionate about, it is what we have to say, not how we say it. People driven to reach people with their message will find it easier to overcome the barriers they may face while doing it.

 
At 11:31 AM, Blogger Diann Hunt said...

Passion is the driving force that keeps me writing--when I'm physically able. Not sure how one gets published without some measure of passion.

 
At 11:39 AM, Blogger Kristin said...

I used to write letters to the editor in my sleep. That's how you know that you can't NOT write. I went to the library yesterday and looked up my name, and my bestselling book gets like ONE star -- but it's sold a lot of copies and people who love it, love it. And those who hate it? HATE it.

If you don't believe in what you're doing, I just don't think it's possible to take the ongoing rejection!

 
At 10:36 PM, Blogger A happy heart at home said...

Thanks for posting this, Diann. It was just what I needed to hear.

 
At 11:25 PM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

I'm with you girls. Words are my passion. I go over and over what I've written just to play with the words and see if I can say them better--and it's fun! If I can't speak clearly and enunciate my words, people can't understand what I say. If I can't write clearly and precisely, readers won't understand what I'm trying to communicate. One needs to love delving into words to communicate well.

 
At 12:59 PM, Blogger Mary Marie Allen said...

I squirrel away scenes, phrases, and words that I think I might use one day.

passion: In Yoda-speak: pass I on what makes life easy, yes, for a dream that is hard, but good. hmm.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz