Girls Write Out
Friday, July 06, 2012
I had an "awe" moment today in the grocery store. A couple had brought their tiny baby shopping with them, and the daddy held her. I never got a good look at her because it always seemed busy around them. My assistant, Bonnie, was shopping with me, and she couldn't get a good look at her, either. It wasn't that busy in the store, because we were able to get to a checker right away. We didn't have any trouble getting to the items we needed--how many people shop for special diet cat food and distilled water? Still, we just got tiny glimpses of the baby.

It wasn't until I was through the checkout line and unable to get further that I realized a handsome, tough looking elderly man was stopped in front of me with the most tender and loving look on his face. He was tall enough to see over other heads to the baby, who was surrounded by at least ten people.

While I waited for him to move--I wasn't about to interrupt the joy I saw in those wise old eyes--I started watching others who entered the store. Every single person who came into view of that tiny infant was immediately caught in wonder. Many of them, like the man blocking my way, simply stopped and gawked. I had to settle for the enjoyment of watching them, and that was quite a treat.

Any of those people whose eyes lit up could have been a likable character in one of my books. Another word for that could be a "pet the dog" moment, in which a character we want our readers to care about does something that tugs at our hearts, like becoming enthralled by the sight of a tiny baby.

What enthralls you? I'm not asking whether or not you're a writer, but what moments in your life have made you stop and catch your breath in awe?

Hannah Alexander  
posted at 8:24 PM  
  Comments (9)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
9 Comments:
At 2:53 PM, Blogger Mary-Louise said...

One moment I remember was in a shopping mall. A young boy and what I presumed to be his grandmother were sharing an ice cream. They were sitting close and snuggling while enjoying their treat.

Another, was a young girl, probably no more than five, holding hands with her totally tall daddy. She being so little and he being so tall caught my attention.

 
At 3:07 PM, Blogger Crystal Laine said...

I love that--"pet the dog" moment! What a good description.

I'd have to think about this. I love kids, especially 4-year-olds (I did teach that age in a preschool for 4 years of my 10 years of teaching) and also wrote a lot of curriculum for that age. I'm tuned into what they say, do, their faces. It warms my heart when they have that sparkle or ginger-peachy look in their eyes.

A great description of the moment to put us right there!--hey, you must be a writer! (LOL)

 
At 4:10 PM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

I see things like that at shopping mall's too, Mary-Louise. Since our house is overrun by kitties, I try to mix it up every so often and find something new to awe me.

Yes, Crystal, my pet the dog moment is something I love to sprinkle in several places. It can be an expression in a child's eyes, the hug of a horse, the rescue of someone in need. How many ways we can spread the love, and show the love of our characters.

 
At 12:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

um.... i have 2 nieces and 2 nephews. and as it happens, i babysit a lot. but i enjoy taking them out because theyre all so cute in their own ways and they all get peoples attention. especially the girls. one looks like with her crazy curly hair and olive skin. the other one looks like my kid sister with dark hair and porcelain skin. so we get the 'aww ur daughters look just like you!' routine. we just smile and thank them and dont bother correcting them. :)

 
At 12:38 PM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

Aww, Ruby, you get a lot of those awe moments. I'm so glad. Children are the best to bring out that special, heart-tugging experience.

 
At 2:57 PM, Blogger freddikb said...

when i held my nephew for the first time. that was five years ago and i still remember that moment. he was tiny but his eyes were so big. he looked into my eyes and that was it, i was a gonner. the same happened with nephew #2.

 
At 3:22 PM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

I think the children have it, don't they? I wish I could have seen my stepson's baby when he was born.

 
At 6:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The first time I held each of my children was an AWE moment for me. For our oldest child, he was 10 months old, and for our twin girls, they were 19 months old. We adopted our children from Eastern Europe in 1999 and 2002. Even now, as I type this, we are approaching the anniversary of their adoption, and my eyes are welling up with tears at God's hand in bringing our family together.

 
At 7:04 PM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

Most definitely an AWE moment, Carol.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz