With the ACFW Conference this week, I thought I might offer some timely tips on packing:
1. Decide in advance what you're wearing. A few days ahead, try on lots of outfits with shoes, heels, jewelry and belt. Take photos on your phone with you in each outfit. Seeing the photos helps you view the looks objectively and quickly, allowing you to choose the best. This way you pack only what you'll wear.
2. Once you've decided what to wear each day, take a photo of each ensemble (like the photo at side) to remind you what goes with what once you get to the conference. Roll each item tightly, minimizing wrinkles. Or:
3. For super easy unpacking, put each outfit (pants, shirt, jacket, necklace) on its own hanger. Set it in the bottom of your suitcase, smoothing out wrinkles. Layer each additional outfit on top, leaving arms outstretched. Put cosmetics, hair dryer, shoes, etc on top, then fold excess clothing around the top, like your outfits are giving them a hug. :) When you arrive, hang them in the closet and you're done.
4. If you're flying, put a tiny square of plastic wrap under the lids of flip-up liquids like shampoo. Aircraft pressure can make these pop up. Been there, done that. Never again!
5. Put all liquids in a zip top bag to protect everything else if a spill happens.
6. Use the smallest suitcase possible. Objects packed tightly don't shift and create wrinkles.
7. Make a list of things you can't pack until the last minute so you don't leave anything critical.
8. Bring Melatonin or your favorite sleeping aid. It's hard to wind down after a busy day, and you'll need your rest.
9. Along the same line--bring earplugs. Your roommate might snore or (even worse) be a morning person. Yes, Colleen, talking about you. :)
10. Bring a carry on for anything you can't live without in case of luggage loss: Laptop, meds, one-sheet, bare minimum makeup, etc.