Girls Write Out
Sunday, October 21, 2012
One of the questions I'm asked most frequently is: What inspires you to write?

Two things come to mind. 1. The things that inspire me and 2. the way the writing process actually works for a working writer.

Many things inspire the creative process in me. Romantic movies, romantic novels, newspaper articles, movie trailers, books on writing, and overheard conversations. During any of the above I often find myself jotting ideas that come to mind. (I learned long ago that no matter how perfect the idea is or how sure I am that I'll remember it--I won't. Guaranteed.)

These moments of inspiration are fun and exciting and useful for filling my creative well (and my story idea folder). But they aren't so useful in getting 80,000 words into my document by my deadline.

For that part, my inspiration can only be described as butt-in-chair. Every working writer knows William Faulkner was right when he said, "I only write when I am inspired. Fortunately, I am inspired at 9 o'clock every morning."

I don't know about anyone else, but if I waited until I felt like writing, I wouldn't meet my deadlines. Then my publisher would become disgruntled with my unprofessional behavior. Then I wouldn't have any contracts. Or deadlines. I guess at that point, I could write only when inspired. Sadly, that doesn't pay. And fortunately, Faulkner's plan seems to work for me.

So, I'm throwing the question back to you, no matter what it is that you do. What inspires you?


Labels: , ,

Denise Hunter  
posted at 9:08 PM  
  Comments (5)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
5 Comments:
At 9:30 PM, Blogger Grace said...

Sad to say, but the thing that often inspires me is a deadline!

 
At 8:47 AM, Blogger Mary-Louise said...

I would have to say ditto for 'butt in chair'.

If we don't sit down and actually do the work, how will it ever get done? Having said that... I better get crackin'.

 
At 10:34 AM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

I'm with Grace and Mary-Louise. I used to set myself a deadline before I started getting published. Then my editor set me a deadline. Now my editors are giving me all the time I want due to long illness, so I'm just not as productive. I'm hoping they'll put me on a deadline for the final book so I can at least force myself to start writing it!

 
At 11:00 AM, Blogger Denise Hunter said...

Agreed! Deadlines are great motivators!

I also have a great fear of coming down to the end and having to write 24/7 for 2 weeks like some writers I know. I guess it works for them, but just the thought of it scares me enough to force myself to write steadily for months.

 
At 11:11 AM, Blogger Candice Sue Patterson said...

Reading inspires me! I do my best to make myself sit and write everyday (I'm still currently unpublished). When I feel myself "doubting" or running low on juice, I pick up a book and start reading. (You girls are my favorites!!)
Seeing how other authors paint a picture on the page inspires me to paint my own.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz