Girls Write Out
Sunday, March 03, 2013

I'm often asked if I keep a story diary and where I get my ideas. The ideas often come when I least expect them. When I'm reading another book or watching a movie or listening to a song. (How interesting is it that other people's creative pursuits spark my own?)

The number one thing I've learned: WRITE IT DOWN!

I learned this the hard way unfortunately. I wonder if my forgotten ideas from those early days are sitting in a big gray room somewhere with all my lost socks. Anyway . . .

So I keep a folder--which happens to be gray. Coincidence? I don't think so. It goes back years and contains napkins, bulletins, Post-Its, scraps of paper, and magazine pages. Each item contains an idea or a nugget that inspired me. Sometimes it's just the name of a song as I often choose a theme song for my books. Music so inspires me.

Whenever it's time to start a new book, I go to my Idea Folder. Even if I already have an idea for a plot, sometimes the story needs "something more". I'll look for another idea I can blend with it. I love blending two ideas. It can create a really unique story.

So that's how I handle my ideas. This tip and more is on the video above. Kristin, Colleen, and I (missed you, Di!) sat down for a webcast last week and invited a few friends. Okay, the general public. It was a blast! We talked about collaborating together on the Smitten books, how we met (sorry for the towel story, Kris!), and why Colleen's hair looks so curly. Thought you might enjoy a peek into our lives--as if you don't get enough of that here.

Labels: , , ,

Denise Hunter  
posted at 10:21 PM  
  Comments (2)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
2 Comments:
At 9:54 AM, Blogger Scraproni: Adventures of Single Woman said...

I'm the same if though if its for work I definitely have to write it down especially since I'm a visual person so if i can see it then it can be a reminder, plus to put reminders in my phone within the calendar. Love the Webcast!

 
At 9:58 AM, Blogger Denise Hunter said...

I'm visual too. I use my phone a lot for notetaking these days. It's so easy when you're on the fly.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz