Girls Write Out
Wednesday, March 15, 2006


THE DREADED WIP

I think there's a misconception about authors and how we feel about our writing. Most of us are an insecure lot who often approach our work with fear and trepidation (with the notable exception of Colleen). For some reason writing and dread seem to go hand in hand, for me at least. Every morning a part of me dreads the moment when I will open my WIP (Work in Progress for you non-writers) and start writing.

I've analyzed the dread (a futile attempt at eradicating it) and have come to the conclusion that fear is the underlying cause. Fear that today my writing will be drivel. Fear that my next scene will stink. Fear that I'll sit there frozen, my fingers still on the keyboard, with no idea what comes next.

What usually happens bears no resemblence to my dread. In fact, the fear disappears once I start typing, and sometimes I don't even want to stop. Every day I wonder why I dreaded it in the fist place. Hey, I think, this is kinda fun. And I'm getting paid for it.

And yet, the next morning, dread pays a visit like an unwanted relative (not that I have any of those). You'd think after eleven books I'd have convinced myself it's gonna be okay. That it'll all come out in the wash. That, with God's help, the story's gonna happen. I guess not. But I console myself with the notion that I'm not alone. At least, I dont' think I am. I'm not alone, am I?

Anonymous  
posted at 3:32 AM  
  Comments (10)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
10 Comments:
At 10:29 PM, Blogger Rachel Hauck said...

I am SO with you!! I feel that way, but know God is able where I'm not.

Anyway, you have 11 books as proof you can do it.

Write on!

Rachel

 
At 10:51 PM, Blogger Sabrina L. Fox said...

It's actually nice to hear that you suffer like this. LOL. Gives us unpubbed folks hope!

 
At 9:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I echo what Sabrina said. It's nice to hear that the unpubbed are not alone!

 
At 10:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow....you ARE an overcomer! I, for one, am glad you push through.

I feel the same way, for me, the only way to break through is to write longhand. Old-fashioned and slow, I know. Hey, where did I put my quill.....

 
At 11:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My fear comes in not as I write, well not usually, but once I hand it over to readers. What if it stinks? What if they tell me it's good but then shake their head feeling sorry for me. (Like a bad karaoke singer...everyone claps and smiles, until the sorry sap is out of earshot.)

 
At 11:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good news/bad news. You are not alone. (That's the good.) I'm working on release #52, and I still wrestle with doubt and fear and dread. (That's the bad.) Somewhere along the way I learned that this is part of the process for me, and I just have to live with it. Somehow the book gets written and it turns out okay, although I never believe it's okay until my editor says so. {{grin}}

Robin

 
At 2:42 PM, Blogger Colleen Coble said...

Hey, I'm ALWAYS fearful that my work stinks! Right now I'm in edits and wondering why I ever thought I could write. LOL I think it's the curse of all writers.

 
At 5:08 PM, Blogger Southern-fried Fiction said...

I feel a lot better now. Thank you, Denise. If you feel like that, then I know I'm okay. I sweat through each scene, questioning the call. Thanks for sharing. A little reverse encouragement works wonders! :o)

 
At 9:57 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Wait....C, you got your edits back?????

 
At 7:43 PM, Blogger susie said...

Well, that's just great. I was happily living in my own little bubble of,"When I grow up and become published, I will feel so confident. No more wanting to disappear into a hole while waiting on someone to read my work. No more compulsivly changing just 'one more thing' before I pronounce it finished. No more lowering my voice to one decimeter while telling someone "I'm a writer."

Ok, I just submitted my first work to the Genesis contest. I think I want it back! Just kidding. Thanks for being so open and honest. It helps to keep balance and perspective.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz