Girls Write Out
Thursday, April 27, 2006
It’s that time of year again. The plastic Easter eggs have been tossed, the baskets stored away, and only one thing remains. The candy. My kids have weeded through and eaten most of what they like. Clearly, they’re pickier than I.

Just when I finally got rid of (ate) my annual package of Peeps, new candy sits on my kitchen counter, a colorful collection of foil-wrapped temptation. Peppermint patties, Hershey kisses, and worst of all . . . Reese’s Cups. It’s enough to drive a woman to a chocolate-induced coma. Or at least a sugar high.

What kind of cruel holiday tradition is this that sends kids home with loads of candy? Sure, the kids enjoy it, but then they run off to school the next week, leaving me alone with it. Don’t they know I can’t handle this kind of temptation?

Just the other day, I stuck my head in the candy basket. Yes, my head. I wasn’t going to eat one, I just wanted to smell it. I’m sick that way. (Make fun if you like, but smelling is calorie-free)

I’m the only mom shoving the candy basket at my kids every day after school. “Here, guys! Eat up!”

And still, a month’s worth of candy sits calling my name. I can’t bring myself to throw away good chocolate, so I guess I’ll just have to deal with it. Next year, though, we’re hiding money. I know my kids won’t let that go to waste.
Anonymous  
posted at 3:10 AM  
  Comments (5)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
5 Comments:
At 5:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

my parents never gave us candy at easter. they (ok my dad) decided we didn't need it, and so wasn't gonna give us any. of course, our grandparents always gave us an easter egg, but that's it and dad said that was way too much chocolate (i think more to the point, he hates to see chocolate sitting there, and wants itmore than we ever did). so, i never get anything for easter, my gran usually gives me a lindt bunny (mmmmm lindt chocolate!) and often that sits in the cupboard for weeks until i eat it. cept for this year,i ate it on easter day. haha, i figured if i didn't eat it then,it would never get eaten. lol.

 
At 7:53 AM, Blogger TJ said...

One of my old work pals had a husband that could not pass up a bargain...at an after easter sale he bought 12 chocolate bunnies and actually put them in their freezer and ate on them throughout the year. :}
I can't imagine that they would taste as good as fresh can you?

 
At 9:09 AM, Blogger Deborah Raney said...

Oh, LOL! Did this post ever strike a chord with me--seeings as how I polished off at least 6 of those little Russell Stover foil-wrapped Easter eggs yesterday. I ate all the pink ones--didn't go with my decor, then ate a green one to even up the green and gold, then ate one of each--again, to keep things even. Oh, no! I just checked and someone must have eaten 3 greens last night because they're uneven again. Better go take care of that... ; )

 
At 6:10 PM, Blogger Southern-fried Fiction said...

LOL - Deb's like me with M&Ms. Have to eat them by color. ;)

But I turned to chocolate velvet coffee. Smells heavenly, has a good, rich chocolatey flavor and no calories. It's not Godiva, but it helps.

 
At 10:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm....you know, I forgot all abot the Easter candy! Must be because I haven't seen it since we came home from the Easter egg hunt. My 9 year old must have gotten wise to her mom!
Go, buy yourself a nice bag of Dove chocolates. Not only do they taste wonderful but they each have a nice little saying on the inside of the wrapper. That way you can open it "just to read the inside" and then you HAVE to eat the chocolate!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz