Girls Write Out
Friday, June 02, 2006


I COULD PROBABLY WRITE A BOOK

If I've heard it once, I've heard it a hundred times. "I could probably write a book." I feel the same way when I watch pro dancers. "Yeah, I could probably dance like that." If I was in shape. If I had a few years of instruction. If I had a little more skill. If I had legs up to my armpits. Sure, I could.

I can see how it happens. They open a book and read it. The words are already there. The characters are real and the conflict, well, just happens. Plus they have writing experience. They write letters, memos, grocery lists . . .

The courageous ones sit down and try it. They know the fear of the blank page. I was reminded of this yesterday as I stared at the blank page knowing I must make people appear, people who seem every bit as real as my best friends. I must make the setting come alive and engage readers with plausible conflict. Most of all, I must not only make these make-believe people feel, I must make the reader feel for them. All using only words. But serious writers don't let the blank page stop them.

I think a gifted writer makes writing look easy the way a great dancer makes dancing look effortless. So when a reader puts down a book and says "I could probably write one of these", maybe that's the ultimate compliment.
Anonymous  
posted at 3:07 AM  
  Comments (7)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
7 Comments:
At 10:48 AM, Blogger Colleen Coble said...

Gosh, that is so true,Denise. I get tired of hearing people think it must be easy. It's SO not a walk in the park.

 
At 11:03 AM, Blogger Diann Hunt said...

That's good stuff, Denise! It's easy to say you can do it, but it's another thing to sit down in front of a blank screen/page, whatever.

It's a great reminder of how we need to keep practicing and honing our craft. Speaking of which, I flipped over to THIS screen to avoid my BLANK screen today. LOL

 
At 2:00 PM, Blogger Betsy St. Amant said...

Denise, that is a wonderful way of looking at it! Thanks for the viewpoint. And I think you're on to something! =)

 
At 4:14 PM, Blogger Southern-fried Fiction said...

The minute they know you write, they say it. And if you aren't published yet, they can do it and get published right away! LOL

 
At 3:47 AM, Blogger Camy Tang said...

I've never thought of a blank page that way. Yikes!
Camy

 
At 12:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I decided I was going to write a book, just because there are no books about someone like me. I think I might've completed a paragraph.

Could someone write a book about a thirty-something girl who is a stay at home mom to her 2 pre-teen boys, and home-schools them? She decided a few years ago it would be a brilliant idea to move away from her family and friends in Colorado to live with her boyfriend in California (he got stationed here in the military). Now life is really not what she thought it would be 5 years ago.

That's all I want. A book like that, instead of about fabulous single girls and their fabulous jobs in fabulous cities with tons of super hot guys for the pickin' and all kinds of interesting friends. I can't find a book about someone like me. I guess I'm really not that interesting *sniff*

Oh... and I have the highest respect for you all and your talents, and will never again decide that I can write a book.. hee hee!

 
At 9:05 PM, Blogger Just Nancy said...

Gee, I was almost intimidated about going back to work on my wip after reading that, however, I go on. I have too many books in my head that are clamoring to get out, so this one has to be finished!

I guess that's what you mean about the brave one go on. You just do it.

I remember years ago (about 17-18), when my husband and I (married about a year and a half) went to volunteer at a soup kitchen and place that offered furniture and clothing to the poor and homeless. The owners told us, with straight faces, that they were writing a book that would make them a million dollars so their charity could grow and help more people. Even then, I was a member of RWA and KNEW that wasn't going to happen, but they were just SURE that it would.

I wonder what happened to them.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz