Girls Write Out
Wednesday, September 27, 2006

I hate to be a downer here, but there is one thing that sort of, well, ruined the conference for me . . . .

My luggage.

It’s not that I don’t appreciate my husband calling me from the store and telling me about this beautiful red Liz Clairborne suitcase. I figured “red” would match my lady lit genre, and then there’s always the added plus of finding it on the baggage rack. (Of course the bright green tag that says “Don’t make me chase you” also sticks out). I appreciate that he has bothered to get this for me, I really do. But when he brings it home, I’m not prepared for what I see. In fact, I’m surprised he was able to cart it home without a semi.

Yes, it’s that big. Think Titanic.

So, while Colleen, Denise and Kristin all tote around their dainty little bags that appear no bigger than an evening clutch, I come lugging in this monster bag that is sure to promise me a hernia before the trip’s over. In fact, I could have packed away the entire conference sound system and no one would have been the wiser.

The theme song for the Beverly Hillbillies taunts me through the airport as I heave this luggage through gates and passageways (don’t even ask me about bathroom stalls). The good news is I have biceps that could rival Popeye.

I won’t go into our trip with Colleen’s nephew back to the airport and how they could barely stuff my bag in their trunk. We could have plunked it on the car roof, but figured by the time we arrived at the airport, we would have been two feet tall.

All that to say, I will learn how to pack lighter next year if it kills me. Or maybe I’ll just climb into the luggage and have my husband push me around. Hey, throw in a box of chocolates, and I’m good to go.
Diann Hunt  
posted at 7:15 AM  
  Comments (11)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
11 Comments:
At 8:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know you are all about chocolate, but do you like baklava? My friend from high school (you don't need to know how long ago that was....) has her own online store where she sells her secret family recipe baklava....it is the BEST! The only problem is that while I got it free way back when, now I have to buy it! You can check her out at www.baklavagoddess.com You'll love it...and I think she still has the kind that she drizzles chocolate over.

 
At 8:11 AM, Blogger Diann Hunt said...

Why thank you for pointing that out, Denise! LOL

Oooo, I'll have to check out the web site, Suzanne! It takes a little of the sting from that whole luggage thing.

Thanks! :-)

 
At 9:19 AM, Blogger Kristy Dykes said...

You are a scream! Thanks for a big laugh.

 
At 10:19 AM, Blogger Southern-fried Fiction said...

I laughed out loud over that, Diann. What a hoot! Especially because I used my husband's suitcase this time instead of my own more compact one. Thought I needed it. It was 1.2 pounds overweight, commanding dirty looks from every baggage handler! And it wasn't even completely filled! Next year, I'll join you in lighter packing. Sheesh.

 
At 12:44 PM, Blogger Pam Sanderlin said...

You're hilarious! Thanks for the good laugh today.

 
At 2:25 PM, Blogger Catherine West said...

Too funny.
I traveled with my husband, so I had to pack light. If I come on my own next year, may I borrow your steamer trunk?

 
At 4:07 PM, Blogger Diann Hunt said...

Ane, I'm so glad I'm not alone in this!!

You're right, Cathy, mine is a steamer trunk. Sigh.

Kristin, thank for the tip on ebags. LOL

Katy, thanks for getting my name out there--even if the mention of my name causes eyeballs to roll back in heads . . . .

 
At 9:49 AM, Blogger Pammer said...

Okay, I have learned the same lesson. Why I thought I needed so many clothes is beyond me. I guess I was just feeling indecisive. So I go to the airport with the computer bag, my little messenger bag, a suitcase (kindof smallish) a duffel and a backpack, intending to check all but the messenger and computer bag. Only it would have cost me alot of money to send the duffel. So I ended up on the plane with an engorged messenger bag with unmentionables hanging out and a HEAVY computer bag. I won't even go into how much the other stuff weighed, but I'm sure I burned three days worth of calories just lugging it up to the hotel room! I needed a nap afterwards. Yesterday I took my packing list and minimized. I also got (on special discount) a garment back and a rolling flight bag small enough to be a carry on but large enough to hold my laptop. So if you see me in the same shirt at the conference, know that I won't need a chiropractic adjustment when I get home. I promise I'll shower and wear deoderant, lol. :D (the really sad thing is....this wasn't my first conference, I KNOW what to pack...sigh.)
Big hugs to you all.

 
At 10:04 AM, Blogger Diann Hunt said...

Thanks for feeling my pain, Pammer. :-) Also, it was SO GREAT to finally meet you!!!!

 
At 7:09 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Okay, I can't pack light. I could have put my children in my suitcase. But you know what? THat's how bellhops earn their tips...carrying monster bags to the rooms!

 
At 2:30 PM, Blogger Heather said...

A gal after my my own heart! I flew to go to a scrapbooking retreat with a friend. I my huge crop bag, and a huge suitcase. She asked me if I forgot to tell her I was staying a month instead of a weekend! Packed much smaller for the most recent visit to see her. . . she wanted to know where the rest of my stuff was. {grin}

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz