Girls Write Out
Thursday, September 28, 2006
LITTLE DRUMMER GIRL
Denise seems so quiet, so restrained, so placid. But get her behind the drums, and a different person emerges.

The first time I heard she decided she wanted to learn to play the drums for the worship team at her church, I snickered. Denise, MY Denise? The one who agonizes at the thought of getting in front of people? The girl who used to wear beiges and browns so she could fade into the woodwork (I did her colors and fixed that problem.)Then I remembered Ringo Starr. He was the quiet one too. Still waters run deep and all that kind of thing. She took the lessons and began to drum for her church. I was intrigued but she goes to church in Ft Wayne and I got to New Life Baptist in Wabash so I didn't think I'd ever get to see her.

So when I heard she'd volunteered to be the drummer for the conference, I was ecstatic. Finally a chance to see her in action! Well let me just say Ringo's got nothing on our Denise. The first time I heard her break out into a flurry of cymbals and drumbeats I screamed and shouted "YES!" Yes, that's my buddy up there. That's my quiet peep who has come into her own.

She's GOOD, you guys--really, really good. I'm such slime. I couldn't play an instrument in front of people if you held my children over boiling water. Okay, maybe I'd try to save them but it wouldn't be pretty.

It was worth the price of the conference to hear Denise. You go, girl! You make us proud.

On another note, thanks so much for praying for my mom! She's doing much better after scaring us all to death with a serious heart attack. We didn't even know she had heart trouble. I'll never look at a Good Samaritan helicopter quite the same way again.

And happy birthday to my new daughter, Donna! Love you, sweet girl.
Colleen Coble  
posted at 7:17 AM  
  Comments (10)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
10 Comments:
At 9:07 AM, Blogger Tina Ann Forkner said...

Praises for your mom and continued prayer. It's great she now knows and can take steps to stay well.

I thought that was Denise Hunter, but she kept disappearing and I don't believe I ever formally met her at confernece. Time was much too short. But she has Such a sweet smile and she rocks behind the drums. That's for sure!!! Way to go Denise.

 
At 9:36 AM, Blogger Kristy Dykes said...

Glad your mom's better, Colleen. Thanks for posting the pic of Denise.

 
At 9:40 AM, Blogger Diann Hunt said...

Denise was amazing on the drums! Let me tell you, that girl can get down! Soooooo cute, too!!! She's our very own Karen Carpenter (and if you don't know who that is, that's just depressing).

So glad your mom is better, Colleen!

 
At 11:18 AM, Blogger Anne Mateer said...

wyI loved watching Denise up there on the drums! I have in my head a YA novel about a mom who plays the drums and she so embodied my character!

Thanks, Denise, for sharing your gift with us all! I wish I'd met you face to face.

Maybe next year.

D'Ann

 
At 12:46 PM, Blogger Sabrina L. Fox said...

I'm so sorry I missed hearing her. I have a hard time putting that image with what I've seen of Denise. LOL. It's always the quiet one's.

And Colleen, you can sing...that's something. ;)

 
At 7:06 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Yeah, Denise, girl you rock! :)

 
At 7:31 PM, Blogger Southern-fried Fiction said...

I have a serious case of envy and coveting when it come top playing nmusical instruments! Way to go, Denise! You do indeed rock!! :o)

Colleen, I'm still praying for your mom. She'll have some changes to go through. And congrats on teh new dil!

 
At 8:03 AM, Blogger allen etter said...

guess I'm the lucky one...my family and I go to Denise's church and we get to hear her drum every Sunday. And that's not all...last week my six year old said that Denise's husband sings like Elvis...

 
At 12:12 PM, Blogger Heather Diane Tipton said...

Denise rocked on the drums!!!

Glad your mom is doing better Colleen

 
At 1:04 AM, Blogger Margo Carmichael said...

So glad your mom's doing better!!!

(That merits three exclamation points)

Hugs~

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz