Girls Write Out
Monday, November 27, 2006

PUPPY SCRUBBING
Things started well. I had coffee, always a good thing. We had leftover pie from Thanksgiving, again it was all good. Then the first dog came. Kara washed him and got him ready to be groomed. Then two dogs came, Kara prepared to show me how to tackle my first dog. It was a little sort of dog, a Shih-Tzu names Casper. Okay, cute little guy until he shook himself and flung water all over me, Kara, the floor and the wall. No problem, I could handle anything.

Then she showed me how to wash the dog’s bottom. Ick. But hey, I’m a big girl. I can handle this, my hands will wash, right? Wrong. She showed me how to do the anal gland. Okay, I drew the line there. NO WAY! Uh, uh, I wasn’t doing that. Any anal glanding would have to be done by someone else.

So I decided to wash an easy dog first. Little Ozzie, a Cairn terrier. CUTE. And he smiled. Truly smiled. I never saw a dog do that. He was a total pro at being groomed since he’s in there every two weeks. Piece of cake, this doggie washing.

Then more dogs came. And more. We had to pick up the pace. And I’m old. The pace doesn’t go very fast. But I tried. I even washed some pretty big dogs like an Aussie shepherd. I didn’t get dog bit or anything. It was a time to totally fall in love with Chopper, a little golden-doodle (half Golden Retriever and half poodle). Until he was clipped, he looked like a miniature sheepdog but he has the wonderful Golden nature.

I think I should pay Kara for having me help. I'm sure I increased her water bill. I had water EVERYWHERE. And there was enough hair in the blow-dry room that it was like walking through knee high drifts.

Who would have guessed washing dogs was such a hard job? I’d expected something MUCH easier than what I found. By Saturday night, I collapsed on the sofa and didn’t move a finger. In spite of being exhausted, it was a totally fun two days, a time for me to see what my daughter has been up to, a chance to learn more about dogs. And a chance to burn off a few calories if it hadn’t been for so much darned pie around the house. LOL

My daughter is a real pro at this, much better than me. So if you live in the Phoenix west valley, come on by to See Spot Clean and tell her you're a friend of mine. Expect your dog to come out smiling like Ozzie. LOL
Colleen Coble  
posted at 9:35 AM  
  Comments (7)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
7 Comments:
At 10:05 AM, Blogger Kristy Dykes said...

Thanks for sharing your experience, C. Sounds fascinating!
Thanks for bringing up pleasant memories of Gia. I just returned from San Juan where I spent a week with my daughter. She has Gia, a Greyhihuahua--ha ha--a cross between a Chihuahua and an Italian (miniature) Greyhound. Gia weighs about 3-4 pounds. I just love that sweet thang!

 
At 11:06 AM, Blogger Tina Ann Forkner said...

Colleen, We gave our dog a bath last week to save some dough. There was dog hair everywhere. I have a new respect for groomers now. And for you too! Good job!

Tina F.

 
At 11:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fun post, Colleen. I love dogs, but I have to agree . . . ick on the anal gland thing.

Love, Rachel

 
At 10:07 PM, Blogger Southern-fried Fiction said...

HA! No way. I've watched my husband wash our 53 pound Mastiff puppy. That's no easy chore. :o) I wish your daughter lived near me, I'd take Shadrack to her.

Also wish I had some of that leftover pie. I miss leftovers. I even blogged about them today. :o(

 
At 10:08 PM, Blogger Colleen Coble said...

I AM middle aged. And we old middle agers move SLOW. LOL

Kristy, isn't it interesting the mixes they come up with these days? I would have taken that Golden-Doodle home.

Tina, you should have seen the dog hair. Kara does this thing of blowing out the undercoat on dogs with that kind of coat. I have NEVER seen so much hair. It was literally ankle deep and I'm not kidding. LOL

Rachel, so glad you share my pain. LOL

 
At 10:09 PM, Blogger Colleen Coble said...

What? No leftover pie, Ane? How can that be? We STILL have some. LOL I'm dismayed to admit it.

 
At 5:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I um didn't get any pie this year. We went to a Medieval Dinner and now I'm missing the pie listening to you guys. I may have to pick one up. :)

I totally draw the line at anal glands, too. No way will I EVER do those. Ick.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz