Girls Write Out
Wednesday, May 23, 2007
STAR DATE 1987
Yes, I admit I'm a Trekkie. You ever have a weird sense a deja vu? Where you're suddenly transported to another time and place, one you'd almost forgotten?

Sunday I stepped through a time portal and re-entered 1987. Now granted, the eighties were hardly a time to crave returning to (though now that I think of it, I got my first computer in the 80's, a time of rejoicing!) Okay maybe the little Commodore was hardly as sexy as the MacBook I use now, but at the time it seemed the epitomy of all things to be desired. Oh and who can forget PacMan, the Rubix Cube, Strawberry Shortcake, the Care Bears, My Little Pony, OH and Cabbage Patch dolls! Maybe the eighties were better than I remember. . .

Ahem, but I digress. Back to Sunday. Our church celebrated our 25th anniversary. The wonderful Ralph and Jeannie Butler, the pastor and his wife who were there when we first went to New Life Baptist Church made a surprise visit (I'd called the night before when I heard they weren't going to make it and begged and pleaded. It just goes to show you that groveling can sometimes work.) Also our beloved Steve and Paula Parks, who led the church for seventeen years following the Butler's ministry, came bearing smiles. And our terrific new pastor Matt Keller and his sweet family were there serving and rejoicing as we go forward to new heights.

For one brief day, I was in my thirties again with all the energy in the world. My kids were teenagers, I was still young in my faith, and many of the hurts life has dealt hadn't happened yet. The sun shone brighter, the sky was bluer, and my parents weren't even retired (they even looked younger on Sunday. LOL) We had FOUR HUNDRED people come too! It was an amazing day.

But dare I say the next day I was down to earth? Every muscle in my body ached from pushing a broom around the stock barn at the fair grounds. I'm such a GIRL! (Yes we turned the buildings at the fairgrounds into a place of worship--with great results, I might add.)

But that brief day made me think about the things I could change if I could go back twenty years. I'd hold onto every day with my kids a little tighter. I'd take more time to say the things I think my friends and family already know how I feel. I'd pray more and talk less.

Hey, I can STILL do that!

What would you do if you could back twenty years? Would you change anything?
Colleen Coble  
posted at 8:46 AM  
  Comments (16)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
16 Comments:
At 11:29 PM, Blogger Kristin said...

Scaring me!! Nuff said.

 
At 12:25 AM, Blogger Pattie said...

Well, first of all, let me say there's few things sweeter than a church anniversary. I've been blessed to be a part of two 100-year and one 10-year church anniversary. AWESOME!

Second, I get to travel back to 1987 next month for my 20th high school reunion!!!

 
At 7:21 AM, Blogger Jaime Wright said...

I'd spend more time with my Grampa. He was diagnosed with cancer that year, 20 years ago. I was 10 and just a bit oblivious. I always wish I could go back and curl up next to him and read together like we always did just a few extra times, for both our sakes.

 
At 7:52 AM, Blogger allen etter said...

You...are...a...Trekkie? Does Denise know?!?! So...um...is it just Star Trek or are there other aspects of Sci-fi involved?

 
At 7:52 AM, Blogger Pam Sanderlin said...

I would be kinder. I would hold my tongue rather than blurting out things I now regret. I would be braver to try new things.

Other than that, I wouldn't change much: I'm glad we've lived in Turkey. I'm glad we adopted our daughter. I'm thankful for the experiences and friends I've had. --Pam

P.S. Guess what?! The Rubix Cube is in vogue again in Turkey. I'm constantly having to tell students to put them away and get to work!

 
At 8:41 AM, Blogger Colleen Coble said...

Same here, Jaime! My grandma died just a year later and then my brother and my grandpa. So many things I would love to do with them again.

Allen, I love sci-fi. the original Star Trek was on when I was a teenager and I refused to leave the house on Friday night. LOL And I ADORE Star Wars! I love fantasy too. Can't write them but I love to read them.

 
At 8:47 AM, Blogger Denise Hunter said...

Yes, Allen, I know about C's love of Star Trek, yet I love her anyway. Just the kind of person I am.

 
At 8:49 AM, Blogger Colleen Coble said...

Incidentally, we girls know just about everything about each other. And love one another in spite of our faults. LOL

Though I know Star Trek is stretching it with K. LOL

 
At 10:05 AM, Blogger Mazzuca Maddness said...

Hmmm, 20 years ago I would have been in kindergarten. If I could do it all again...I guess there isn't much in life you regret when you are six.

 
At 10:49 AM, Blogger Tricia said...

I don't really want to go back 20 years, I'd be 13 and does anyone want to revisit 13? I think not!

However, I know what you mean. I see my kids getting bigger. My oldest is learning to drive. For the first time in my life I'm in the passenger seat and my baby is driving.

It is as if I can suddenly feel the pressure of time passing.

College is looming. One day the really will move out and have their own lives.

Yesterday when my girls asked to play a board game with me. I said yes, even though It was almost dinner time and I had not started cooking yet. Even though the laundry needed to be put away, even though I really didn't have the time, I said yes.

How could I not?

I wish I had said yes more when my boys were little.

 
At 11:11 AM, Blogger T. Forkner said...

I hear you about holding onto the children tighter. It's just that it seems so much time is spent taking care of them, running around, that at the end of the day it's gone by too fast. :)

 
At 1:04 PM, Blogger Rachel Hauck said...

Wonderful post, Colleen.

If I could go back 20 years... I don't know.

I was just staring my corp career, traveling, and for the first time pressing, pressing into God.

I think I'd press harder. Fast and pray more.

Maybe I wish I'd started writing sooner, but yet, I so believe in God's timing and plan.

Has everything turned out like I expected? No, but so many wonderful things have happened. I wouldn't change a thing.

But I love NOW because I know all of you!

Rachel

 
At 2:01 PM, Blogger Colleen Coble said...

Time really does just zip by! Seems like just yesterday I was desperately searching for a Cabbage Patch doll for my baby girl for Christmas. LOL

Rach, you're so sweet! Thank you!

 
At 9:23 PM, Blogger Shauna said...

If I went back 20 years I would be 7. Hmmmm...I wouldn't take hanging-upside-down-from-the-monkey-bars for granted. And jumping off a swinging swing - without twisting, pulling or jarring anything. Now I watch the kids and think, "back in the day..." LOL!

 
At 9:24 PM, Blogger allen etter said...

Twenty years ago I was a nerd in college...I hated it. Now, looking back, it made me what I am today. Wouldn't change a thing.

 
At 4:05 PM, Blogger Deena Peterson said...

Yup...

I would have worried less and enjoyed life with the Lord more.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz