Girls Write Out
Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Sort of like Clay Aiken being gay, I don't think it's any surprise that I'm ADD. Today, I had a meeting with my son's teachers, and I really feel for my son. He's doing college-level work in 7th grade with my brain -- except he's a genius at math. I'm...not. I mean, can I explain to his teachers, "Well, you know, his head doesn't really turn on until about 9 a.m." And not sound ridiculous? But it's true.

It's like having a "Monk" brain, we notice everything, but very little of it is helpful in life. And there's this running commentary, all the time. How are you supposed to think math when that commentary is going on???

Examples: I went to Lowe's yesterday. There's this strip club next door with a sign that says, "Open at 11 a.m." I'm thinking to myself, what kind of girl wants to show up at 11 a.m. and act sexy? Shouldn't there be some kind of moratorium or limit on what time strippers can work? What kind of person shows up at the strip club at 11 a.m.? And then I add a little shudder of disgust. Because...ewww!

Then, I drive by a new restaurant: Vaigai. Don't know what it is, but don't want to eat it.

This is why I love the Chinese, and living around them. After my trip to Lowe's, I had to the Chinese "mall" near my house. I guess because space is an issue in China, they don't mind confused things being meshed together, and this works for my brain. I will remember everything in that mall, and put it down for future reference. Here's what it is, an old grocery store with little stalls inside that include: An optometrist, a granite countertop guy, a Chinese bakery, a Vietnamese bubble tea place, a Chinese restaurant, a noodle house, a music store, a day program for disabled adults, a jewelry store, a place to get fake purses. But you'd never know any of this if you weren't curious or spoke Mandarin, because everything outside is in Chinese. That's the thing, I can tell Japanese writing from Chinese from Korean -- another gift that does me absolutely no good unless I want Pho/sushi or BBQ -- it gives me an inkling what I'm going to eat.

But if I explained any of this to Jonah's teachers, would I get more than that blank stare of oooo-kay, and this concerns us why? Did I mention the meeting was at 7:40 a.m.? For Jonah and me, who don't officially wake up until 9:30 a.m.? Ah, ADD. As Monk would say, it's a blessing and a curse. Today, I don't really see the blessings of it. But maybe that's because I got up so early.

But with a crew like the above, I think it helps to multi-task. Though some days I think I could use a good dose of my mother's order.
Kristin  
posted at 12:23 PM  
  Comments (12)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
12 Comments:
At 1:21 PM, Blogger Beverly said...

Okay...my recent conviction of the last two weeks...God WILL and DOES redeem everything, even the time and difficulties my daughter has because she is lingering somewhere between Austism, Aspergers, and ADHD. Maybe she will just bounce around from one to the other, in her true hyperactive way. With a smile on her face, nonetheless, and not really aware the rest of us don't understand. But that is not my point.

My point is this: there are difficulties in this world for a myraid of reasons, but God is trustworthy and capable of redeeming the impact of this world on our lives, even at such a personal level. There is no reason to let the hard things distract us from the light and beauty of His goodness, because He IS good.

When you are the parent, it is easy to forget that, both for the moment and for the future. But I believe that when the Lord says He will redeem the years the locusts have eaten, he will do so. So we have to look and watch and not be swayed to think that what isn't just perfect is a reason for dismay. Maybe a reason for patience and hard work, but not a reason for disappointment.

God's strength to you as you tackle the hard things.

 
At 3:29 PM, Blogger hotcoffeenow said...

I find ADD infinitely more interesting - I meander in my thoughts and speech...take you down pretty little lanes past the flowers and oh, what was that? A bluejay? Ohhh, and something sparkly. That reminds me, I bought a new necklace today. Now, what was I saying? My DH, OTOH, will drone on and on about the same thing until my eyes roll back in my head (he's an IT guy, geeky) and I think of something completely off topic to interrupt him with and break the dark lonely road he's on. lol. He's soooo not ADD.

 
At 4:51 PM, Blogger Tiffany Amber Stockton said...

Hmm, reminds me of Karen Ball's keynote speech in Nashville, when referencing short-term memory loss and a goldfish mentality.

"Oh, look! I have a castle!"

And 2 minutes later, "Oh look! I have a castle!" :)

 
At 8:21 PM, Blogger Julie Carobini said...

This is why I love what you write, Kristin, lol...

And seriously, I really do not do well before (at least) 9:30. I say it jokingly, but it's painfully true. Espresso is my very good friend (and yours too, right? :)

 
At 8:25 PM, Blogger Diann Hunt said...

I never thought I was ADD, but the older I get, the more I am easily distracted. :-) I agree with Julie, that's why we love your books, Kristin!

By the way, Julie, I missed you at conference!!

 
At 8:27 PM, Blogger Krista Phillips said...

Ugh, I don't do well before 9 either which is NOT good because I have to be at work at 7 every morning. Then people are like, "why don't you do get up early to exercize" when I complain about not having time... YEAH RIGHT! Or the "why do'nt you get up early to write?"

I don't even want to contemplate what I would write if I tried to get up before 5:30 in the morning to write! And I'd probably fall asleep during a sit-up or something...

 
At 9:11 PM, Blogger Kristin said...

Krista, I'd probably be arrested if I got up early to write. LOL And Beverly, you're so right. I know you're right about God in the midst of it all, but I have to say, I did lose my daughter today for a good three hours. She told me she was going home with Karen, so I picked up my son, took him to guitar, then went to Karen's, and her mother looks at me, like what? HUH? I get home and she's at another friend's house, where she's never been before. I'm sure the woman is thinking, what kind of woman just leaves her kid? Sigh.

 
At 10:21 PM, Blogger Kayla said...

Haha! I notice the most random details, but I never share them for fear of sounding like a lunatic. My stepdad teases me about watching TV, texting, and IMing people at the same time.

I'm far worse than you guys. I am best late at night, and I can't go to class before 11. It just doesn't work. I have a huge aversion to getting out of bed prior to 9:30. Imagine when I have to be at church for sound check every Sunday at 8:30...it's not pretty. Not the sound. Not me.

 
At 11:25 PM, Blogger Lynette Sowell said...

Does randomness qualify as ADD? I'd like to know. If so, it makes me feel a lot better.

Just to prove my point, I have to say my 16yo daughter just bought her first pair of Joe's jeans and she's in love. It's a good thing when they have their OWN job and can buy their OWN clothes. :)

 
At 8:37 AM, Blogger Crystal Laine said...

Kristin, It disturbs me to read your posts because I relate so much to what you say about yourself--and it has never occurred to me that I might be A.D.D.--but maybe I am.

I often think that my oldest son has A.D.D.(he says he does) and he works a lot like I do (except he does extraordinary things and has unbelievably wonderful songs he writes.)

We don't have Chinese malls here, but I would probably like them.

 
At 12:21 PM, Blogger Kristin said...

I like a lot going on, I guess. Do you read five books at once too? Then, I think it's time to own up to it. LOL

 
At 9:56 AM, Blogger Crystal Laine said...

Yes! I have several novels going at the same time, plus, I will take on book review jobs (which includes nonfiction) and fiction manuscripts for agents or editors.

Maybe that's why I had so many kids--I had to keep things going on...

You are scary, Kristin.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz