Girls Write Out
Tuesday, December 09, 2008

SELF IMAGE
Last night Dave's mom called us down around 10 because Dad wouldn't settle down. He wanted to go to the hospital. We got up, got dressed and hurried down to their house. They were both by the front door. Dad pulled me aside and whispered, "Who is that little old lady? I can't do anything to satisfy her." Through the next few minutes we realized:
a. He thought he was very young--just out of school
b. He wanted to go to the hospital because his wife was there.
c. He actually recognized me and Dave--and introduced us to the "little old lady."

Now we had to laugh even though it's heartbreaking and not at all funny in reality but sometimes you have to find the humor in a situation to be able to deal with it. A few minutes later he knew Mom and wondered where the "little old lady" had gone. But it made me think about self-perception. In my head I'm still 19. I'm always shocked when I see a picture or look in the mirror. In my head I'm never as old or as fat as I really am. LOL It also made me wonder what else we deceive ourselves about. Our character? Our personality? Our prowess--or lack thereof of things like cooking,etc? LOL

It's enough to make me long for heaven! This old woman will be 57 in a few weeks. The almost forty years since I've actually been 19 have passed in what seems a blink of the eye. It makes me realize all over again that inner beauty is what it's all about, and I need to be cultivating that more.

How about you? What's your self-image? Any self deception going on with you?

Oh and by the way, the picture is just for fun. This is Alexa on Sunday when she was dedicated!
Colleen Coble  
posted at 7:47 AM  
  Comments (9)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
9 Comments:
At 12:23 PM, Blogger Kristin said...

I am older, wiser. I don't have any trouble being 42. I like the freedom that comes with being older, but I am 16 in reality. I still laugh out loud at Sixteen Candles, know all the words to Wham! & Adam Ant, crank my music up like a teenager and dress like I did then too: jeans and a long-sleeved shirt.

I am a "What Not to Wear" nightmare I'm sure, but I'm happy and just like back then, I don't really care what other people think.

Darling picture of Alexa!!!

 
At 1:23 PM, Blogger Michelle V said...

Such a sweet picture! I too don't feel (or act) my age or my weight! LOL

Blessings
Michelle

 
At 6:55 PM, Blogger Colleen Coble said...

I just realized my post got in here twice. Another sign of my age? LOL

 
At 7:05 PM, Blogger Beth said...

I love Alexa's shoes!!

 
At 7:07 PM, Blogger Colleen Coble said...

That baby has over 30 pairs of shoes! LOL

 
At 8:38 PM, Blogger Kristin said...

30 Pairs of shoes??? That is my kind of baby!!! She's going to take after Elle, and may I just warn you that may not be such a good thing. I think she has six pairs in the car right now. LOL

 
At 8:40 PM, Blogger Colleen Coble said...

She's trying to catch up to her Mommy's shoe mountain. LOL

 
At 9:24 PM, Blogger Southern-fried Fiction said...

Colleen, my mom died of Alzheimer's Disease in June 2001, but for a while, she provided us with lots of smiles. :)

When I visited her, sometimes she thought I was her sister. Sometimes, she thought I was her mother. Sometimes, she knew me as her duaghter. And then sometimes she had absolutely no idea who I was, but she liked me. LOL She always told me that. She'd say, "I like you. You're funny. Come back and visit me again."

On my last visit home, 3 months before she went to the Lord, she knew me for nearly the entire visit. A sweet blessing from God.

Alzheimer's Disease is a cruel robber. My mother had been a teacher, and so to see her mind deteriorate was sad. But I have to say her spirit never deteriorated.

 
At 9:56 PM, Blogger Diann Hunt said...

Oh my goodness, Alexa looks soooooo ADORABLE!!! What a doll!!!

Life is so short, isn't it? Every day is an absolute gift and I'm so thankful for every single one of them!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz