Girls Write Out
Sunday, January 25, 2009

I'm a word girl--no surprise since words are the tools of my trade. I'm fascinated by our ever-changing language. You'd have to be burried in a hole to have never heard words like Googled, spammed, and texted, but there's a plethora of lesser known new words that tickles me. Here's a sampling.


IRRITAINMENT: A celebrity spectacle that, like a car wreck, you just can’t turn away from. “Brittney Spears provided plenty of irritainment last year.”


TWEET: A message sent on Twitter.


FRIENDILIGENCE: The amount of time it takes to maintain friend requests on social networks such as MySpace and Facebook. “All of this friendiligence takes to much time!”


CUBE FARM: An office filled with cubicles.


CROP DUSTING: Surreptitiously passing gas while passing through a Cube Farm.


STAYCATION: A vacation from work or school that does not involve traveling.


OHNOSECOND: That minuscule fraction of time in which you realize that you've just made a BIG mistake. (Like after hitting send on an e-mail by mistake) Never done that, right?


I recently heard this new word:


CHREASTERS: People who attend church on Christmas and Easter.


Here's a couple I invented:


MEDIACRACY: When media bias determines an election.


GOOGLENOSIS: Looking up one's symptoms on Google in order to self-diagnose. Come on, you know you've done it!


Have you heard or made up any new words lately?
Denise Hunter  
posted at 7:56 PM  
  Comments (8)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
8 Comments:
At 7:30 AM, Blogger Michelle V said...

I love it! I actually have heard a few of these.

 
At 12:05 PM, Blogger Kristin said...

Here's one I saw the other day. (Not a real word)

SARCHASM

The space between someone with a sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

 
At 12:20 PM, Blogger Denise Hunter said...

Love that one K! Now where did you hear a word like that? LOL

 
At 12:45 PM, Blogger Michelle V said...

Kristin I love that one!

 
At 12:52 PM, Blogger Jaime Wright said...

I used to use the word "explatify" all the time (explatify = to put emphasize the point one is trying to make). Unfortunately, I found out later it wasn't a word by the one person willing to expose my ignorance - everyone else just let me use it and must have put it in their Jaimepedia of Lesser Known Words

 
At 1:47 PM, Blogger allen etter said...

I have one that only Sci-Fi movie geeks will get, but we use it a lot.

LUCASAFICATION (Luke-ahs-uh-fi-Kay-shun): To take a brilliant movie (i.e. Star Wars) and rework it over and over again until it becomes an unwatchable pile of smoldering garbage.

 
At 3:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like that one, Allen! And I agree with the definition.

Here's one my Dad and I made up: doggledopper. It's a spin-off of "doppleganger", and we use it to describe how our two dogs follow us everywhere.

 
At 7:44 PM, Blogger Beth said...

I think there are a lot of legal words that are just made up. I can't remember any in particular at the moment, but I do remember thinking in my business and tax law classes at uni that there were several words that had been made up to confuse people not in the profession.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz