Girls Write Out
Sunday, August 16, 2009

It might surprise you to know, but beneath the exterior of this calm, collected woman is one scatterbrained chick. Everything is fine if I'm doing one thing at a time. But throw me a second ball and a third ball, and they will all come bouncing down. I am no juggler.

Cooking I can do. Cooking and carrying on a conversation with guests? You do not want to eat this food. 

Heaven help me if I'm on the cell phone when I park my car. I may never see it again.

I've lost count of the times I've walked into rooms only to leave again when I can't remember why I'm there.

Leaving town is a dangerous mission. Out of my routine, my element, anything can happen and usually does. 

I felt right at home when my mom visited this weekend. We go out to get in her car which she asked me to drive. She arrives to the locked doors and stands there looking at me like I've got the solution or even the keys.

"Mom, I need your keys," I say. 

She peeks through the window. "They're in my purse, in the car." She goes back in the house and borrows my step dad's keys to unlock the doors then gets in the passenger side and puts on her seatbelt, settles in. From the driver's side, I look over at her. "The keys?"

"I don't have them."

"They're in your purse."

"Oh yeah!"

I get it honestly, all I'm saying. 

This is why I make lists, why I have sticky notes hanging from my nose, why I have a rubber band around my wrist, and don't leave home without a responsible adult. If you ever see me walking aimlessly feel free to stop me and ask if I need directions.
Denise Hunter  
posted at 9:30 PM  
  Comments (8)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
8 Comments:
At 11:34 PM, Blogger Tonya Kappes said...

I have a ton of list too. Not only do I keep lists, I have a blackberry calendar and a hand calendar plus one on the frig to remind me of appts.
I know exactly where you are coming from.

 
At 5:10 AM, Blogger Stephanie Wilson she/her @babysteph said...

Oh this is so me! And my Mom.

Steph

 
At 10:54 AM, Blogger Deena Peterson said...

I think I know why...your novels flow like water, and it drains you of all sense of recall, direction, and focus;-) But don't you DARE take time off to test my theory:-)
LOL!!

My mom and I both can get lost in the dr.'s ofice...it was so easy for her to get turned around, and now I'm the same way.

And guess who hubby chooses to be the family navigator on trips? So is it REALLY my fault when we get lost (or go on an adventure, as my sister-in-law likes to call them)??

 
At 3:18 PM, Blogger Denise Hunter said...

Thanks, Deena. I'll use your excuse from now on. :-)

 
At 3:29 PM, Blogger Colleen Coble said...

Your mom sounds like me! I was driving my mom and dad's new truck last week. I'm with my mom and sister in law. We arrive back from the paint store and I remark, "looks like Pop is gone."

Mother: Why do you say that?

Me: The truck is gone.

Mother: You're driving it!

LOL

 
At 3:53 PM, Blogger Denise Hunter said...

That sounds like something I'd say, Colleen. Kevin doesn't even comment on my silliness anymore. Just shakes his head.

 
At 9:04 AM, Blogger marina said...

I lost my mom 19 YEARS ago when i was 29 still miss her and I wonder how we would of been now that I am older thanks for sharing.

 
At 8:45 AM, Blogger Diann Hunt said...

This post cracked me up, Denise!!! Hilarious! I used to think I was a multi-tasker, but after reading your post and seeing myself in those situations, I realize, well, I'm not.

Thank goodness for calendars and Post-It notes!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz