Girls Write Out
Tuesday, December 15, 2009

OLD AS DIRT
I had an epiphany last week, and it was all Denise's fault. My realization was that I've become my grandmother. I asked my grandma's advice about everything, and even if I didn't ask her, she was happy to give it anyway. :-) Someday I thought I might know as much about things as she did. Last week Denise asked me a question about gardening. I gave her the answer and she shot back the response of, "How come you know so much?" I gulped and told her, "It's because I'm old." When did that happen? In my thirties? In my forties or now in my fifties?

But that response was only half right. I've just lived a few years on the earth and have gone through periods of different interests. In my 20s I was interested in gardening, crocheting, and crafts. In my thirties I took up knitting and even more craft stuff. In my forties I got interested in natural medicine (that interest continues to this day) and writing (that passion just grew stronger.) I'm a take charge person so if there is a problem, I'm going to figure out a way to fix it. But that strength can also have a downside. You ever notice that? Because I take charge, I can be pushy and I want people to take my advice because I'm quite sure I know what's best for them. LOL I have to work on tempering that all the time. I'm such a mom! Sigh. My grandma was the same way. A steamroller.

Oh and I used to make quilts as well. See? I've totally lived long enough to learn a lot. So what do you know now that surprises you? What are your passions that you're learning more about every day?

Labels: ,

Colleen Coble  
posted at 4:23 AM  
  Comments (9)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
9 Comments:
At 10:15 AM, Blogger Diann Hunt said...

I've lived a long time and I'm not that wise. So I'm thinking that's not it. You're just gifted. And they say God doesn't have favorites . . . .

 
At 10:27 AM, Blogger Jaime Wright said...

awwww ... you're not a steam roller!!! you're an amazingly caring sweetheart! I LOVE YA!!

My 2 sides? Probably my sense of humor ... sarcastic enough to make me uber popular with the youth kids at church and ostracize me from any women's groups at church. The blank stares after I respond sarcastically tell me a lot at the women's teas. It tells me to temper the humor or stick to Dodgeball with the kiddos :) LOL

 
At 10:48 AM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

Okay, Diann, you ARE that wise, because you're my age and I know you know at least as much as i do, and I insist I'm wise. I tell Mel that all the time.

And Jaime? I love sarcasm, so I would not ostracize you at church. I'd be the one laughing so loudly all the civilized ladies in the church would be horrified.

Those are two of my foibles.

 
At 3:40 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

Are you the oldest child in your family? I blame my take-charged-ness on that. I considered myself the assistant mother from the time I was two years old. I was born old. I know a lot, but I think I know everything. :) My poor husband. He is so gracious in living with me. :)

 
At 3:43 PM, Blogger Southern-fried Fiction said...

It's true, wisdom comes with age. So now that I'm older, can I claim to be wise? A few of my friends think I am. One even gave me a cute owl pin. So since I have the age and pin to confirm it, I'm claiming I'm wise. :) LOL

 
At 3:43 PM, Blogger Colleen Coble said...

I AM the oldest, Sarah. Guess that's the cause, huh? LOL

 
At 12:38 AM, Blogger Cheri said...

One thing that amazes me now that I am 60 (when did THAT happen), is that the Bible verses I have learned over the years seem to come to me more easily now. If I am studying something new or sharing things with non Christians or young Christians, I am continually surprised at how God brings things to mind I thought were long forgotten.

Of course, my daughter still thinks I am UNwise, but I guess that goes with mother/daughter relationships, lol. I think our experiences good and bad shape us as we grow older. I hope I learn from those older than me as the Bible teaches that the older women should teach the younger ones.

I guess age does have some upside benefits, after all.

 
At 12:38 AM, Blogger Cheri said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 1:52 AM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

Cheri, I couldn't agree with you more. I loved my Sunday school class when an older woman taught. Now we have this kid 14 years younger than me, and he challenges me to think and see differently. Still, I'm not afraid to speak up when I disagree. I am, after all, his elder. LOL

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz