Girls Write Out
Wednesday, December 23, 2009
Do you have memory problems? I do. I mean, I'm at the age when I can't remember my own age or social security number half the time. Yesterday, when I was wrangling with a mortgage company, I was able to remember Mel's number before I could recall my own. Weird stuff like that happens all the time.

My poor mother has lost her short term memory. She asks the same questions over and over again, talks about things over and over again, forgets appointments, forgets to pick me up for physical therapy. She's lonely living in the country, and talks about moving into town, which would help her memory, but she's afraid to move from the home she's grown to love.

She drives to the doctor's office when she doesn't have an appointment, and irritates people who don't understand her situation. They don't realize she's desperately trying everything she can to be a responsible, independent citizen and helpful mother.

At first, I have to admit, I became frustrated. That has changed. I know how frustrated she is with herself, and now it just breaks my heart. I'm going to do anything I can to help her, and when she slips up, I'm just taking it in stride and going with the flow. I know how she struggles.

If there's someone in your life who is struggling with memory, be gentle. Give them love and acceptance and take it in stride. They probably know they're repeating themselves and irritating others, and it bothers them immensely. Help them through it, let them know they're still loved. You'll be glad you did.
Hannah Alexander  
posted at 12:46 PM  
  Comments (4)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
4 Comments:
At 1:53 PM, Blogger Judy Gann said...

I can so relate. My dad has the same problem. It breaks my heart.

Thanks so much for your timely post. I'll be visiting my dad in a couple of weeks. I appreciate your reminder to be patient and loving.

Merry Christmas to all the "Girls Write Out" gals!

 
At 2:37 PM, Blogger jel said...

I'm there too, with my mom!

and it can to hard at times!

but keep telling myself that I will miss it(her) someday!

give your mom a hugg from me! ;)

 
At 11:45 PM, Blogger Cheri said...

Isn't it hard to see our parents have this problem? I know your mom doesn't have Alzheimer's but I saw a Dr. Phil show where a coach was on. He had a wife with that illness and wrote a pamphlet or small booklet that is free on how to deal with the problems that come with memory loss. His suggestions were great and just said what you did, Cheryl. Love them, be gentle and just go with what they are saying.

You can order his booklet off Dr. Phil's site and I think it would help anyone who has a family member with this problem.

Merry Christmas to all!!

 
At 5:55 PM, Blogger quietspirit said...

Just this week, we got word that a dear friend lost her husband of 65 years. He had Alzheimer's. When they lived in our town, we'd go see them. If I went by myself, he'd ask me three times while I was there, "What's your men doing? (meaning my husband and my son.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz