Girls Write Out
Friday, February 05, 2010


Hospitality

Hospitality is probably the spiritual gift I covet the most. I'm happy to open my home, happy to cook for you, but it's those little touches that make the difference. I get so excited about the conversation, I may serve you fried chicken, but I'll forget to put napkins on the table. um, oops. Nice thought, but...

As much as I look forward to coming to Indiana and seeing my girls, Colleen's cast iron claw foot tub is a highlight. That tub is like the right handbag, it was just made for me. I love the simplistic beauty of it. I love that it has this incredible Victorian history with it that adds to the aura of taking a bath. Suddenly, I'm in "Somewhere in Time" and all these ideas spring to life. Just ask the girls, I was ON at the brainstorming session we had. (It's the bathtub!)

When I arrived Thursday, not only did Colleen draw me a bath, but she had bought Lush bath bombs and soaps. I don't know if you've ever HAD the luxury of a Lush Bath Bomb, but they turn your water into this gorgeous silky color and leave little surprises like pink and red hearts, dried flowers or a cinnamon stick floating on the surface. Colleen even had a fuzzy, warm bathrobe for me. It is better here than any spa and that's because my Indiana sisters are so incredible at hospitality.

From the bathtub, to the morning coffee to the temperature of the rooms, I feel absolutely coddled. So hon, if you're listening, I think I may be snowed in for awhile. Got any great hospitality tips you like to do for your guests?

Labels: , ,

Kristin  
posted at 2:18 AM  
  Comments (7)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
7 Comments:
At 3:51 PM, Blogger Colleen Coble said...

Kris, you've added so much laughter to our retreat. You're right, Colleen and Dave are the ultimate hosts.

 
At 3:52 PM, Blogger Colleen Coble said...

OOP! I posted from Colleen's laptop, so it looked like she posted, but it wasn't her, it was me, Cheryl

 
At 5:23 PM, Blogger Diann Hunt said...

ROTFLOL, Cheryl!!

It was SO GREAT seeing the GWO team and brainstorming together! I so wish we could have had more time together, but I'm thankful for the time we had!

Colleen is a perfect hostess, as is Denise! We sat by a beautiful warm fireplace, laughing and talking together while snowflakes drifted beyond the windowpanes. It was a great memory.

The extent of my hostessing gifts? I can light a candle and throw a couple of store-bought cookies on a plate and add a cup of instant coffee. :-)

Hospitality is not my gift, okay?

Still, if you drop by and I have DeBrand's in the house, I WILL share the best of the box with you, does that count?

 
At 5:40 PM, Blogger Cathy Shouse said...

Diann.

Cheryl, I did enjoy seeing Colleen praise she and Dave's hospitality. I needed a laugh :)

I was just thinking I don't have the gift of hospitality but I will sometimes make chocolate chip cookies when people (usually visiting kids) are here are right before. Nothing like warm cookies all around.

Also, for those of us who aren't very good housekeepers, I recommend having people over in the evening and keeping the lights down low. This is how I became known for fun Halloween parties when my kids were small. I think artful lighting can pass for a little hospitality. LOL

Yes, Diann, DeBrand's counts. I'm in a snowstorm right now, but if you have your best chocolate out, I might be able to make the hour's trip to see you!

 
At 6:47 PM, Blogger Southern-fried Fiction said...

That's my dream - to own a claw foot cast iron tub.

Years ago in CA, we redid our master bedroom, adding anew bathroom. The hubs bought me Kohler steeping tub. Oh man, was that great! Water up to your chin. Heaven! I tried to bring it with me when we moved, but the people who bought our house balked at a hole in the bathroom. Oh well.

So I know what I'm doing when I come to Indiana now. I'm going to Colleen's house! :D

 
At 11:59 PM, Blogger Kristin said...

Ane, I had a new claw foot at the house we built, but it's not the same as the old cast irons. I love old houses, they have so much character.

Speaking of iron, Di. LOL

I'll have to do this again soon. Or you all can come to California! We can rent a little beachside cottage for Di's idea. : )

 
At 10:06 PM, Blogger Cheri said...

Hi-
When I lived in Chicago many, many years ago I would get a room ready for my mom and always put a book or two right beside her bed! She is the reason I love to read today.

I think hospitality IS a gift! I wish I was able to do as much as I used to as I loved to have people over. To feel comfortable at someone else's home is truly a treat.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz