Girls Write Out
Tuesday, May 18, 2010
All shook up.

Last Friday I was driving through a nearby town when I saw this. I nearly slammed on my brakes. The Pizza Hut has stood on this spot for gazillions of years. It fell down. Though stunned and curious, I didn't have time to ask anyone what had happened because I was packing for a trip across state to a funeral, was dealing with the wreck my mother had just been involved in that morning, (she's okay) and several dozen other things. Still, McDonald's had burned to the ground last year, and ideas began to percolate in my mind. Was a local restaurant owner committing arson to improve business? Interesting idea for a book, though for the life of me, I couldn't see signs of smoke or fire damage.

Amazingly, I saw some huge strips of aluminum roofing in the field as I drove toward my mother's house in the country. The top of a silo was missing, and several industries in town looked askew. I didn't have time to consider what that was all about.

It wasn't until Mom and I were traveling back home Sunday evening that Mel informed me over the phone that there had been a tornado. A tornado hit the town six miles down the road from us and I didn't even realize it because my life was so out of control. A tornado!! More amazing, that tornado--only an F-1--skipped all around the independent living apartment where my mother is now living, and missed her house in the country except for a few branches that had been tossed there from somewhere else. It came to within two blocks from her.

Several years ago, an F-5 hit our town and wiped out the whole downtown area except for four elderly buildings. It came to within two blocks of our home.

Most days, I run around with my teeth gritted, trying hard to control my life and failing, and yet the shock of that tornado made me stop at least for a moment to think. There is nothing I can do about the wind. If we get hit by a tornado or an earthquake or an ice storm or deadly illness, nothing I do can stop that. God truly is in control. I'm sure not.

I'm keeping this picture--Mel took it for me today and loaded it on my computer so I could blog about it. I need this reminder that I'm most certainly NOT in control. I can do a lot of things, but I have no say over the results of what I do. God does. All I can do is continue to go forward, to seek His will, to follow instead of trying to lead all the time. If I get blown away by the next tornado, I hope to see you in heaven someday. And that's what it's all about.

Hannah Alexander  
posted at 9:49 PM  
  Comments (11)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
11 Comments:
At 10:35 PM, Blogger Crystal Laine said...

I have been in several tornadoes and it does make you feel out of control. My great-grandmother was killed in a 1936 Tennessee tornado and people still talk about that.

Amazing photo! (Scary.) Was Mel working when it hit?

 
At 10:45 PM, Blogger Kristin said...

I think the noise of them would bother me so much. Just the idea that it's coming and hearing that. I hate wind. I'll take the earthquakes, just as long as they don't come too often. Or at all.

 
At 11:11 PM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

He was actually sleeping here at home when it hit, Crystal. It's really freaky with someone in your family was taken by one of these monsters. I've not actually been IN a tornado, just far too close for comfort too many times to count.

 
At 11:12 PM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

Well, Kris, we're due for a bigger one than the San Andreas in Missouri. We probably won't feel it this far from the New Madrid faultline, but I'm braced, anyway. The last one made the Mississippi run backward and change course forever.

 
At 4:51 AM, Blogger jel said...

guess what, we are due for some more storm, today and thurdsay,

that was some storm, the lighting was something that's forsure!

 
At 6:37 AM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

That's what I've heard. We drove home in a lot of it Sunday night. And I haven't even finished mowing. May is just scary around here, isn't it?

 
At 7:57 AM, Blogger Julia M. Reffner said...

Wow, we live in upstate NY so most of our weather disasters are snowstorms and I have to say I think a tornado seems much more frightening to me. Glad everyone at your house is safe, Hannah.

 
At 8:55 AM, Blogger Colleen Coble said...

Wow, that's some picture! Were there any people in the restaurant at the time?

 
At 10:52 AM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

Thanks, Julia. Snowstorms hit us sometimes, but we don't usually get a huge amount of snow here compared to you. We have friends who moved here from Denver a few years ago, and were horrified by the tornado warnings. And then they got stuck in an ice storm. And the ticks and chiggers and poisonous snakes REALLY were a challenge. I got a call a couple of times. "Cheryl! There's a tornado warning! I'm in the tub. What should I do?" I told her just stay there and do some writing. LOL

 
At 10:54 AM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

No, Colleen, from what I understand it was early in the morning, about seven, so no one would have been there yet. I don't think. I would definitely have heard if anyone was killed.

 
At 6:02 PM, Blogger jel said...

yup May is a ruff month for storms!

it's raining again so watchout!

thurday is post to be worst,

something to look forward too , the weekend is post to be nice :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz