Girls Write Out
Tuesday, May 11, 2010

MEET OUR BUDDY ROBIN
One of the most fun things I get to do is encourage up and coming writers. I met Robin Caroll (Robin Miller) way back when she emailed me to tell me how much she loved my Rock Harbor books. We became friends and I started mentoring her. I'm so proud of her and her writing! She is a FABULOUS writer and I'm thrilled she's ended up under Karen Ball's tutelage at Broadman and Holman. I recently got the chance to ask Robin about her writing life (and hair color) and want to share it with you today. Her new book DELIVER US FROM EVIL is fabulous! Now here's Robin:

You have a great mix of romance and suspense in your novels. How do you balance the two elements? Honestly, I don’t really plan a balance. When a story idea comes to me, I do a basic outline, but I don’t plot it out. I let the characters come alive in my mind and I tell their story. As a romantic at heart (shh, that’s a secret) I find every story has a romantic element. Sometimes I may go back and enhance that element, but the basis for the romance is already there.

I’ve said before that you “own” southern romantic suspense. Give us your worst and best Cajun secrets. Best Cajun secret is how to make a good roux, but I’ll be honest, my husband actually makes a better roux than I do—and he was born in California! LOL And for those of you who don’t know what a roux is, you have no idea what you’re missing…google it and salivate! lol The worst? Hmmm….I actually DO know some voodoo and hoodoo, which is terrifying.

What was the most fun (or scariest!) part of researching Deliver Us From Evil? The hardest part of researching the book was finding all the data on child trafficking for prostitution. That part was truly sickening for me, as a mother of three daughters to read. The most fun was the helicopter parts. My husband had taken helicopter flying lessons and we became great friends with the pilot, who took me up for rides. Knowing how it felt to sit in a helicopter in the air, without doors, during an auto-rotation….scariest thing ever, but sure came in handy in writing those scenes.

Most of us have a little piece of ourselves in our main character. What part of you is Brannon? LOL, as if you have to ask. Definitely her attitude and her speak-first, think-second mishaps. She’s also a bit of a control freak, and uh, believe it or not, I’ve been accused of that same trait. Shocking, I know. 

How did you come up with the name Roark? He’s a great hero. Come on, you can confess to reading Kathleen Woodiwiss back in your younger days. Oh wait, that’s a historical. So fess up. Did you actually read a historical once upon a time? Oh, puhleeze! I’ve read 3 authors hysterical—yours, C, part of Cara Putman’s, and Pam Hillman’s. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I survived, but I still avoid the genre. I came up with the name Roark because I knew a Roark in college who was a bit of a lovable rogue and I was good friends with his girlfriend. I always liked the name.

What gadget do you lust after right now? An Ipad, of course!  Of course, I also want a Mac desktop and MacBook, but right now, I’m REALLY drooling over the ipad.

So tell us the truth--do you tie up your kids so you can write? I know all the things you do. I think you’ve secretly cloned yourself. LOL…sometimes I wish…no, seriously, I’m a freak about my time management. (guess there’s that control-freak thing again) I have a gift in that I can multi-task very well (yes, I CAN talk on the phone and write a scene at the same time—ask Dineen Miller) and my brain works in a really odd way (no comment) in that I speed read, and certain things just “click” for me. Now if I COULD clone myself, the clone would be responsible for cleaning the house. I truly, truly DETEST housework. LOVE to cook, like to do home improvements, but can’t stand housework.

What color is your REAL hair? LOL…only you would ask. It’s gray. No kidding. And I’m not talking a pretty silver or pure white…it’s ugly, wiry, gray. I started getting gray at 18 (gotta love genetics, sigh). But, to try and answer your question…as a child I had dark, dark brown hair but with natural red pigments (both my grandmothers had beautiful auburn hair) but my mother had black hair and my father had dark hair as well.

Thanks for letting me drop in to visit with you girls. As always, I love hanging out with y’all.

Labels: , ,

Colleen Coble  
posted at 11:51 AM  
  Comments (14)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
14 Comments:
At 12:19 PM, Blogger Cynthia Ruchti said...

Great interview. Loved learning more about both of you.

 
At 12:22 PM, Blogger Colleen Coble said...

That's good, Cindy, because you're going to be next when I can figure out what evil questions I want to ask you! LOL

 
At 1:28 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Oops, Cyn...that was a warning! Be scared...be very scared! lol

 
At 2:35 PM, Blogger Denise Hunter said...

Fun interview! Thanks, Robin!

 
At 2:51 PM, Blogger Michelle V said...

Loved the interview! And I loved Deliver Us From Evil! I can't wait to read Fear No Evil!

Blessings
Michelle V

 
At 4:27 PM, Blogger Ronie Kendig said...

Awesome interview, Wobbin!

 
At 4:32 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks, guys. Hanging out with the "girls" is always fun...even when C is asking such questions as NATURAL haircolor. LOL

 
At 10:15 PM, Blogger Dineen A. Miller said...

Yep, it's true. She's a freak of nature, writes while she talks. LOL! Can you tell I'm green with envy? ;-) Other than that Robin's awesome!

 
At 6:31 AM, Blogger Diann Hunt said...

Great interview, Robin! Thanks for stopping by! Love your hair, by the way! :-)

 
At 7:59 AM, Blogger Julia M. Reffner said...

Great interview! I've downloaded Deliver Us from Evil to my kindle and can't wait to read it.

Yum, roux. We love Cajun here...my husband makes a darn good roux for a NYer.

 
At 4:46 PM, Blogger Trekkie4Ever said...

Colleen, off the subject, I just wanted to tell you I just started reading "The Lightkeepers Daughter" and I am hooked. I almost want to peak at the end to see how it all ends. I am enjoying myself, nothing like a great mystery.

 
At 4:48 PM, Blogger Colleen Coble said...

I love to get off the subject like that, Leticia! I'm so glad you're loving it!

 
At 10:44 PM, Blogger Jackie S. said...

Well, another off subject...I just finished The Lightkeeper's Daughter last week and loved it!!!
'Course I do all your books! I could hardly put it down until finished....can't wait for your next one!

 
At 9:04 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I LOVED Lightkeeper's Daughter....brilliant

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz