Girls Write Out
Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Have you ever put your trust in the wrong person? I'm embarrassed to say that I've done it over and over again. I always want to believe the best in people, and it takes a lot for me to trust someone, but once I do, it takes a LOT to make me not trust you.

People say that I'm quiet when they meet me in person. Really, I'm shy. I like to stand back and assess situations. That doesn't seem like my personality, but it is. There's a book called "The Gift of Fear" -- it's written by a top security professional in America and it outlines his story watching his mother kill his father in the home, and the instant before when he watched her face change and knew it would happen. At that point, he got his sister out of the home and fled.

Now, that tragic incident made him an expert on reading people and his main point is to get people to listen to that voice in the back of their heads that warns them. Most women ignore that voice because they want to be "nice" -- we're taught to be "nice". We're taught to avoid conflict and will often give of ourselves rather than stand up for ourselves.

So while I may stand back and assess, I don't often listen to that niggling, and that's my promise to myself this year. Not to become fearful or scared of living, but to set up some boundaries for myself and allow the truth to filter in without reacting so quickly. Have you ever ignored a warning sign? Put aside your sixth sense? How do you balance healthy trust with a good dose of careful living? The picture is of Nevada City, near my parents' house. Doesn't it look idyllic? And trustworthy? Ahem.
Kristin  
posted at 12:37 AM  
  Comments (4)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
4 Comments:
At 11:46 AM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

I've ignored that tiny warning in my heart, too, Kris, and it has been to my detriment too many times. After reading about sociopaths, I've realized that I've encountered a few, and have listened to their stories. Each lesson helps me stand back a little further from new people, especially in business--and I don't care what well-known and trusted name is backing them.

 
At 11:59 AM, Blogger Kristin said...

It's disconcerting, isn't it? Whenever I think that there are truly evil people in the world it makes me so sad!!

 
At 2:53 PM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

Yes, and it makes me afraid to trust new situations. It also makes me eternally grateful to long-time friends who've shown their hearts and proven themselves.

 
At 11:40 AM, Blogger Crystal Laine said...

Now, see, I'm the opposite of you here. I don't trust people at all. I learned early in life that I can "read" a person by cues and body language, and I've kept myself alive that way. (I would have made a good Jason Bourne. ha ha)

But once I trust you (and granted, I am realistic and don't lose my discernment)I am dogged-faithful by your side. Even if you make a mistake with me, I will still pray for you and count you in the forever side. :)

But that's just me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz