Girls Write Out
Friday, January 14, 2011
I looked up beautiful women on Getty Images, and found this one to be most beautiful to me. This woman is drop-dead gorgeous, and I have a feeling she has become more gorgeous over the years. That's how beauty works, both in the beholder, and in the person of true beauty.

What would you say is this woman's most appealing feature? Is it the ethereal silkiness of her hair? The perkiness of her smile? The humor she shows in her wink?

I have an exercise for you. First of all, look in the mirror. Just look, and tell me what your best features are. Your eyes? Hair? Smile? Chin?

What would a stranger passing on the street say was your best feature? High cheekbones? Shapely legs? Cute shoes?

Now, what do you think your best friend would say was your best feature? The friendliness that shines from your eyes, the dimple that shows you know how to have fun? The compassionate depth of your gaze? The unselfconscious tangle of your hair? The sound of your laughter?

Now tell me what God would say was your best feature? You diligence to serve? Your faith in Him? Your kindness to those who don't deserve it? How about your ability to cry to Him, to ask Him for help?

When our ragtag band of cats strayed to our home, only Data may have won a beauty contest. All but Data have either lost teeth or have scruffy tails or ripped ears from their hard life outdoors before they came to us. But as we've come to appreciate their personalities, we don't see the outer appearance, we see Hobbit, who hops onto my chair and leans way out to get in my face while I'm trying to write. We see Little Bit, who has a sad face, but who purrs constantly and would cuddle with someone all day long if they'd let him. We see Teddy Bear, who loves to hear me sing and tries to sing with me. And we see Data, of course, raised from kittenhood, who is trusting and gentle and plays like a little boy.

Don't do what I do. I look in the mirror and see my flaws. God looks into my heart, and just maybe, on some special days, when I'm truly close to Him, He can see His own reflection. I hope so. That's what really counts.

Labels: , ,

Hannah Alexander  
posted at 3:59 PM  
  Comments (4)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
4 Comments:
At 6:01 PM, Blogger Pam Sanderlin said...

She has such a nice smile and beautiful hair.

My best feature is my eyes because they show humor.

You're right. When I look in the mirror I see the things I don't like rather than what I do. I'm glad God looks on the inside and sees the real us.

 
At 6:19 PM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

That was what I thought, Pam. She's just beautiful. Same reason I've always loved crow's feet, because they denote long-held humor. What a beautiful trait!

 
At 6:00 PM, Blogger Jackie S. said...

She does have a nice smile!!
This is another subject....I was just asked by folks using church library (and reading books of yours I donated)....will there be #4 in the ER trilogy??? I just "found" them recently and we all loved them. One family really "connected" with the manic disorders. Thanks for replying!!!

 
At 6:34 PM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

Thanks, Jackie. We have two ER trilogies. One has been reprinted by Steeple Hill, and the book titles are Sacred Trust, Solemn Oath and Silent Pledge. The second series, which is soon to be offered on e-book only, is the Healing Touch Series, titled Second Opinion, Necessary Measures and Urgent Care. Other than that, no more ER type series.

I do, however, recommend another writer who is a retired ER nurse who writes great ER. Her name is Candace Calvert. I've read and endorsed her work.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz