Girls Write Out
Thursday, January 06, 2011
Typically, I don't like to carry personal defense devices with me to the bathroom, but last night I kept it by my side all the time Mel was at choir practice; there was a stalker who had been walking past our house, slowly, sneakily, several times a day.

I finally got nervous enough to mention this man to Mel. Since Mel sometimes works at night, and since I have a very vivid, active imagination, and since I was reading a scary novel, I did NOT want to be home alone without protection. I mean, this man not only walked in front of our house, but he turned the corner right beside the house and walked up the dead-end street. I know, because I watched him several times.

After I told Mel, he flexed his muscles and stood in the window while the man walked past, just so the stalker would see a strong man lived here. Mel even offered to stay home from choir practice. I insisted he needed to go, but I made sure I had my personal protection device within hand's reach everywhere I went. I also did the safest thing and emailed my GirlsWriteOut girls and asked for prayer. And so for the next hour, they kept me occupied emailing me back and forth. I didn't have much time to be afraid. And I had no opportunity to use my personal protection device. I planned to call the police today and find out what this man was doing circling our home all day long.

Well, today, I was letting one of the cats back in the kitchen window (they like entering by the window so they can get a better look at the food on the counter) and I saw the man. He was still walking very slowly, and he still wore his hooded camouflage jacket, but the wind had blown a little of his long, wild gray-white hair from under the hood. And he was muttering to himself. You cannot imagine my relief! Not only was he old enough to have gray hair, but he talked to himself, just like I do!

Then I called a neighbor and asked about him. She said his nickname in the community is Hillbilly. He lives in a house beside the trailer park where everyone goes to buy drugs, and he has four beautiful cats. Mel and I know because we've walked past that house, and have seen the cats. My neighbor said the man's harmless. Well, of course he is. He talks to himself and has animals.

And then later, while I was running errands, Mel saw him walk by again, and the man stopped for a moment and kind of shuddered. Mel ran and got the binoculars to get a better look at him.

"Honey, he didn't see you do that, did he?" I asked.

"No, I don't think so, but I'm a doctor. If he was in trouble, I had to be able to see if he needed help."

Well, there you go. Another problem solved. We don't have a stalker, after all.


Labels: ,

Hannah Alexander  
posted at 9:42 PM  
  Comments (10)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
10 Comments:
At 9:35 AM, Blogger Southern-fried Fiction said...

That cracked me up. I've had experiences that have scared me spitless and turned out to be nothing. LOL

 
At 9:35 AM, Blogger Southern-fried Fiction said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 11:50 AM, Blogger Kristin said...

I'm sort of scared of the Apple engineers on their Segways, does that count? LOL

 
At 12:38 PM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

Yes, Ane, most things that frighten me turn out to be nothing. And those things that are truly dangerous I overlook. Duh

 
At 12:39 PM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

Yes, Kris, those Segways can be dangerous with someone who doesn't know how to drive one. Usually more toward himself than anyone else, but you don't want to be flattened by one of those hogs! LOL

 
At 4:16 PM, Blogger jel said...

glad ya didn't have a stalker!


ya know once I thought I was bee~in stalk, but as it turn out, it was just some celery!

 
At 5:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

First, let me tell you as I was reading this I consumed 5 strawberry flavored marshmellows (used to put in hot chocolate, but leftover from Christmas... oops, was that a confession?) My imagination kicked in. No wonder I love reading your books
Well, I am relieved to know he is normal(??) and talks to himself and has cats, lol.
Let's see should you change Mel's name to Mr. Universe r is that Dr. Universe?
Miriam

 
At 12:57 PM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

LOL, jel. Yes, I had not stalks of celery at the time, so I'm safe.

 
At 12:58 PM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

Oh, Miriam, Mel is going to LOVE his new name! I'll announce it now in front of our retreat group! thanks ;-)

 
At 11:11 PM, Blogger Kim said...

Isn't it funny what our imagination can do? A long time ago my husband worked the 11-7 shift. One night he came home sick about 3 o'clock in the morning. I was awakened by someone trying to get in the front door. I was heading to the kitchen to get a cast iron skillet when I realized who he was! I told him that the next time he better call first.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz